Whole 30

Placebo effect in sensu stricto refers to feelings of pain, or related changes of consciousness (dizziness or nausea for instance). For instance, placebo effect is as effective as morphine (depending on dose) in reducing pain in double-blind clinical trial.

All of which has nothing to do with diet and health, unless your diet causes you pain.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of which has nothing to do with diet and health, unless your diet causes you pain.

And even then, even if your diet causes you pain and your diet placebo makes the pain go away doesn't mean you're actually healthier. Just because something works via the placebo effect doesn't mean it's inherently safe.

I don't know your source for that number and I certainly don't know the life expectancy of hunter gatherer types but I do know that reported lifespans for historic periods are often misinterpreted/misleading. They often seem very low because of significant infant mortality. If you remove all the folks that die before they reach the age of 5 or something like that, the lifespan numbers make a huge jump. Regardless of the true number, considering the lack of medicine of any sort ancient life spans are really a moot point. If you include modern medicine, remove all the environmental pollutants that gives everyone cancer, perhaps they would have longer average lifespans than we have now...who knows?

Edited by hydroman

now now, don't let the monkeys ruin the party. Stay strong with it. I find your progress with this interesting.

If you are looking for some advice on something like this, maybe try the crossfit forum. (not cc.com of course) They have a forum page just for nutrition things.

I hope the meaning of my last post wasn't misconstrued. The statement wasn't really connected to your diet.

It was just referencing when mankind first turned to farming. They typically would only consume just a very few crops, like only one or two, and would not get enough variety.

Historic lifespans and the affect of diets really can't be compared to the modern age with less manual labor and modern medicine.

Your diet sounds healthy to me. You are not going to get any adverse affects from anything like this (even if there was something adverse) if it's only for 30 days. And it's true that it really helps to detox when trying to kick food addictions.

It's strict with no grains (though they tweeted me this morning that a communion wafer was okay!), sugar, alcohol

going off of this info, it doesn't sound like a diet that should only be done for 30 days. It sounds like a smart life long choice. no idea about the rest of the diet though.

Placebo effect in sensu stricto refers to feelings of pain, or related changes of consciousness (dizziness or nausea for instance). For instance, placebo effect is as effective as morphine (depending on dose) in reducing pain in double-blind clinical trial.

is the placebo effect only noted in instances of pain?

neither do homeopathics.

• 3 weeks later...
It's been 30 days, checking in to see how it's going Mel.

Going great! I feel like a new person. It's unbelievable. Mood, energy, no pain and the tendonitis in my knee no longer bugs me! I have yet to eat candy. Don't miss it. I also don't miss grains or legumes at all. I tried reintroducing dairy, but it made me feel icky so I'll save that for special occasions only. Slowly will be reintroducing things I'd cut out, adding them in per the book's schedule.

I lost 15 lbs, too! Dropped a clothing size. I walked twice a week during the 30 days. I'm starting to work out more to get in better shape. I may now weigh the same as I did before the ski accident, but I sure don't look the same! Hubby thinks I'm still loosing weight but I'm trying not to focus on the number on the scale.

If you're thinking about doing this, the forum on the whole9life.com site is a good place to ask questions/get support and the two Facebook pages have some good info on them!