Whole 30

Anybody doing the Whole 30 program by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig?

John Frieh told me to check out the book It Starts With Food by them. I preordered and arrived yesterday and today is my first day on the program. It's strict with no grains (though they tweeted me this morning that a communion wafer was okay!), sugar, alcohol, but I ate similar when I was nursing my youngest who had severe food intolerances. I ended up weighing less than I had in college and feeling great. I fell off the wagon when she stopped nursing at age 2 1/2. It was really easy for me to eat this way when she paid the price for my lapses so I know this is going to be tough when it's just me.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips, etc? There's a website and forum, but I'm on deadline and don't have time to wade through a lot of stuff right now. Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, but post the links and i'll take a look! we can have a contest.

Linky

I bought the book, so I could have it in one place. Deadline time and can't afford to be looking on line to figure things out, but a lot of people just use the website.

You can't step on the scale for the 30 days. I like that part of it a lot ;)

I made it the first day. Half way through day 2. The no sugar/M&Ms is the hardest. I've had a headache all day.

Best part is the kids love the meals I made yesterday, especially the green curry last night. I'm doing one of the recipes in the book tonight. It's a steak rub. Not too keen on the coffee grounds in it (prefer tea), but it has unsweetened cocoa so I'm in!

I just finished making the rub. It's called Mocha Steak Rub. It smells pretty good. Serving the steak up with asparagus and a big salad.

My son is pretty cute about all this. Ryan Lochte is his role model. There was a Gatorade ad that has him talking about cutting down on the burgers and fries and eating healthier to prepare for the Olympics. Son wondered if this (Whole 30) is how Ryan ate. I told him I didn't know, but John (Frieh) had given it the thumbs up. That was good enough for son :)

interesting.. curious to see how it works, think everyone is different either way.

is it just me or are a bunch of the headshots on this page bizarre looking? http://thepaleodiet.com/about

Not you.

I'm curious, too. Though I'm pretty sure it's a good fit for me given my experience before. I'd heard of Paleo and was going to look into that, but a Crossfit coach mentioned Whole 30 to me. I'd never heard of it so I went straight to John F to get the scoop. He told me about the book coming out and recommended the program for us. The entire family hasn't embraced it all, but since I do the grocery shopping and meal planning they'll be on it by default though hubby did bring home ice cream to celebrate son getting an A time today that had been dogging him since last year. But at least we'll be eating the main meals better. And healthier snacks for them! And if this works for me then that may be enough for all to jump onboard.

ok since this is Frieh approved, I just ordered the book too. lets do this.

Few (?) clarifying points before people start saying I endorse the paleo diet.

First: sound nutrition is the basis of health and physical performance. Food is a drug. Its effects may be manipulated to achieve a specific goal. The body is a precision instrument: it knows exactly how much protein it needs at any given moment. The mind, influenced by knowledge and temptation and habit, is imprecise and ignorant of the body's exact needs. When it comes to macronutrient precision the best one can do is get close.

Everyone thinks their diet is fine. Even when it's true improvements can be made. Positive and negative actions cause no immediate result in this context and without an immediate and measurable benefit it is difficult to change one's habits or overwrite a lifetime of programming. Changes caused by nutritional influence occur on a cellular level and can take months to manifest. A result is rarely tied to a particular cause.

Kicking bad habits is not easy. To begin I suggest people eat the same way I insist that they train: for an objective.

I eat this way because I want to lose fat

I eat this way because I want to gain size and weight

I eat this way because I want to lose muscle and be more efficient with O2

I eat this way because I'm injured, can't train, and don't want to balloon up like a pig

Daily Diet (eating on a daily basis) is different from Performance Diet (eating before, during and after athletic activity). Eating for short-duration, high-intensity effort is different from eating to fuel and recover from long-duration, low-to-moderate intensity effort. Eat according to activity levels: eat differently on rest days and training days.

With all that in mind the Whole9/Dallas and Melissa is a great DAILY diet. It is designed for long term health and well being. It is NOT a performance diet especially if you are an endurance athlete. I could go on and on but nobody wants to read science. I do follow very similar rules to Whole9 in the off season/post season as it is a very healthy way to eat however in pre and climbing season eating that way would kill my performance.

I hope this isn't too confusing. I do endorse the book and have had the pleasure to cross paths with Dallas and Melissa a number of times. By all means shoot me an email if you have additional training/diet questions.

Now somebody cue Pete to make some stupid comments about how diet is for nerds and losers.

while I do kid a lot (as an admitted loser and nerd), i really did order the book as I'm curious. I'm not so narrow minded as to think I can't learn something new, though I'm not typically one to jump on a fad.

more than likely diet isn't the number one concern of people who find plenty time to exercise daily and in general take OK care of themselves. however if that doesn't describe you or you're trying to get to another level....

Since I got the infection in my arm a while back and then broke my leg, I've weighed up to 35lbs more than I did before I got the infection. I have tried an number of things to get back to my fighting weight, and some things have worked for a while and others haven't. The way I look at it is I'm just going to keep trying new things and not give up. I'm actually closer than I have been right now, and I'm just looking something else I can do to get over the point I've been stuck at for a couple months.

This is just another piece of information that may or may not work. Its worth a shot.

People in these forums should be lucky to call on John as a resource. Sometimes I think he is a nerd too...but so were Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. If applying attention to details with extreme effort is being a nerd, then all I can say is I wish I was one too. John has helped me out on a number of fitness related things. Not all of them worked out, but not his fault...it was mine for "falling off the fitness wagon"...no excuses here.

so just being clear...when I say I like it because it is "Frieh approved", I am seriously endorsing it. Now NOLSe approved? Thats another story! :laf:

Few (?) clarifying points before people start saying I endorse the paleo diet.

To clarify since it appears this is being taken the wrong way, I said "recommended" and "thumbs up" not "endorse" if you want to get into semantics. And it was for "us." That is my family. Our goals are very different from most people here since three are ages 14 and under, and I'm coming off three years of little-to-no sports/activity due to three separate things happening: ski accident 5/09, surgery 11/09 and car accident 3/10. But this is the only forum I regularly visit so you're stuck with me :P

My starting Whole30 has nothing to do with athletic performance, and everything to do with healthier living and eating better as an individual and as a family. My life has pretty much sucked the last three years with all the inactivity and pain. I decided against having the spinal surgery. I should probably be grateful I've gained only 15 lbs. Too bad it feels/looks like I'm carrying a lot more around than that.

I'm looking at Whole 30 to give us some structure without a lot of fuss/measuring/counting, help overcome some bad eating habits and get us headed in the right direction so we can stay healthy (main family goal) and for me, get active again without hurting myself (secondary goal). If Whole 30 helps me fit back into my fave Prana climbing pants I definitely won't complain (this would be the icing, not that I'm allowed to eat any) ;) If not, maybe Whole 60 will do the trick :)

Like I said in the OP. This isn't the exact way I was eating before (mainly avoiding foods that NP determined daughter had issues with, but some foods are very similar to Whole 30). Given the results back then I'm confident this program will be good for me (and family) if I stick with it. I'll be honest, having the willpower is a big if. Pathetic, but true.

I made it through Day 2. :moondance: The Mocha Steak Rub was yummy and got the nod from all three kids. They guessed a few of the ingredients like cloves, cinnamon and pepper, but not all. It'll go into the meal rotation along with the Green Curry Chicken from last night! Head still hurting. Guessing it's sugar withdrawl since I've been treating chocolate as a vital daily food group for years now.

Everyone thinks their diet is fine.

I don't think that way. Of course, I ate half a box of Pillsbury cake mix with a soup spoon yesterday. After dinner. The whole time wishing I could stop and thinking: "how F**ing crazy is this?"

Thanks for sharing the Whole 30 thing. I suspect that if (IF!!) I could only just quit sugar, I'd be way ahead. I have nothing derogatory to say about folks making the effort, it's awesome you all are grabbing the gusto: I do appreciate the stoke here.

Thanks!

I adopted a gluten free/modified paleo diet about 4 months ago. In the past when trying various diet disciplines, I've usually burned out after going cold turkey for as many days/weeks/months as possible. This time, however, I decided to "ease" into the plan... I weened my sugar intake over a week or so and now I allow myself to "cheat" as needed. I think this makes a big difference psychologically as not I'm telling myself I CAN'T have this or that.

After a few weeks of mostly juicing and lots of protein, I find I am not nearly as hungry as I used to be. When I do eat sugary foods, they seem so much more sugary than before starting this diet. I eat a lot of smaller meals and am having excellent results. I have all but eliminated my psoriasis, which I have been battling for over 20 years. I'd much rather modify my diet than continue on highly toxic drugs designed to suppress the immune system.

Side note - For the past 20 years I have seen numerous dermatologists for psoriasis. When I would ask them if diet was a factor, they would always insists that diet has no bearing on this condition. In fact, I began to notice that the docs would usually get defensive and unwilling to consider anything but expensive and toxic drugs. Obviously, that approach is a lot more profitable than putting a patient on the proper diet that will allow ones body to heal itself. It just makes me pretty angry that I could have solved this problem 20 years ago if the "system" was not so profit motivated and biased...

Don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon. Give yourself a treat but only when you really need it. Good luck.

On Day 5. Survived a pot luck for our Norwegian Elkhound rescue picnic on Saturday that had cupcakes and all kinds of yummy desserts with icing. Huge temptation! :crazy: But I stuck with it. Father's Day dinner at my parents' house wasn't as hard.

WTG denalidave! I think the way you started out might have been the way to go. I'm going to mention what you're doing to my mom, who has psoriasis. Thanks!