Goggles? What brand/color do you wear?

Sig Olsen

Going to Mt. Shasta in 2 weeks and would like to get a pair before I head out. Cheaper the better right now. But also what you think is the best. How dark do I need them? I usually wear Oakley polarized darkest sunglasses here in Florida. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. I searched "goggles" subject for past year and came up with nothing btw.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get a solid partner lined up for that, or are you still playing it by ear?

Being a huge consumer and fan of used gear, I'd see if you can snag a Smith off someone on MP. My current goggle is a Smith Airvent I bought from a guy for like $20 shipped, and my buddy just grabbed a basically new Oakley gog for $25 shipped.

I pretty much never buy new gear... Climb in style, for less!

http://youtu.be/OqfOxm_1BE0

just use glacier glasses or really dark sun glasses. goggles when there is falling snow/wind/blowing snow.

btw if you haven't gotten a good mini-thing of sunscreen and chapstick, it is one of those small comforts that will not stop you from being successful but will make a world of difference between having an oozing face painful face and mouth or not for a week afterwards whilst you tell people of your endeavor, esp if it is sunny, but even in clouds you get the UV.

have fun

FWIW I have never taken goggles on any of the NW volcanos...in summer or fall. Your Oakleys will be fine and a lot less hassle to pack around.

I always take them, and have needed them several times, just on Hood.

FWIW I have never taken goggles on any of the NW vocanoes either, except in winter, and never needed them. But then again I look at these things called weather forecasts that predict the weather.

I always take them, and have needed them several times, just on Hood.

I've never taken them, never said I couldn't use a pair a time or two ;) But decent sunglasses will get you buy 98% or the time. A good set of photochromic mtn glasses will do it 99.9% in the summer if you do what DPS suggests.

The Julbo's are hip if you have the extra coin to spare.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3781746&emssrcid=GoogleBase:PS3781746

But man good point on the sun block and chap stick...must haves or you will be sorry no matter what the weather. The other things I ALWAYS take on the volcanos are tums, advil and aspirin.