• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Sig Olsen

Goggles? What brand/color do you wear?

Going to Mt. Shasta in 2 weeks and would like to get a pair before I head out. Cheaper the better right now. But also what you think is the best. How dark do I need them? I usually wear Oakley polarized darkest sunglasses here in Florida. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. I searched "goggles" subject for past year and came up with nothing btw.

Did you get a solid partner lined up for that, or are you still playing it by ear?

Being a huge consumer and fan of used gear, I'd see if you can snag a Smith off someone on MP. My current goggle is a Smith Airvent I bought from a guy for like $20 shipped, and my buddy just grabbed a basically new Oakley gog for $25 shipped.

I pretty much never buy new gear... Climb in style, for less!

www.mountainproject.com

Great used gear hub.

You down for the solo? I'd go with you, but I've been forbidden from alpining again till the new baby's born... He's due in the middle of July, so my spring climbing is fucked.

I'd see if you can snag a Smith off someone

I've got several pairs of goggles I would be willing to sell for cheap. I posted a pair of Smiths a while back that never sold. Oakley A frames too..

Good luck with your bid on Shasta!

I have these oakleys:

4fcfa8d9960a2.jpg

Thanks ptrendler. Thanks for the heads up on Mountain Project! I am looking for your post now.

If you have dark sunglasses, i.e. glacier glasses, choose googles with an amber tint. They are the best for whiteout conditions when you will be wearing them.

FWIW I have never taken goggles on any of the NW volcanos...in summer or fall. Your Oakleys will be fine and a lot less hassle to pack around.

As usual, I will take your recommendations Dane. Thanks again. I will wait until I get back to buy some goggles for future use if I see the need.

http://youtu.be/OqfOxm_1BE0

just use glacier glasses or really dark sun glasses. goggles when there is falling snow/wind/blowing snow.

btw if you haven't gotten a good mini-thing of sunscreen and chapstick, it is one of those small comforts that will not stop you from being successful but will make a world of difference between having an oozing face painful face and mouth or not for a week afterwards whilst you tell people of your endeavor, esp if it is sunny, but even in clouds you get the UV.

have fun

Good point Water. I put the chapstick in my pack this time. I will add some sunblock also as long as I can get a tiny bottle.

FWIW I have never taken goggles on any of the NW volcanos...in summer or fall. Your Oakleys will be fine and a lot less hassle to pack around.

I always take them, and have needed them several times, just on Hood.

FWIW I have never taken goggles on any of the NW vocanoes either, except in winter, and never needed them. But then again I look at these things called weather forecasts that predict the weather.

I've never taken them, never said I couldn't use a pair a time or two ;) But decent sunglasses will get you buy 98% or the time. A good set of photochromic mtn glasses will do it 99.9% in the summer if you do what DPS suggests.

The Julbo's are hip if you have the extra coin to spare.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3781746&emssrcid=GoogleBase:PS3781746

But man good point on the sun block and chap stick...must haves or you will be sorry no matter what the weather. The other things I ALWAYS take on the volcanos are tums, advil and aspirin.