Honnold is so solid! (reel rock teaser)

boadman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved words. When I was a kid I was always looking up words I'd heard and didn't know what they meant. Properly expressing myself has always been important. I've been a climber virtually all of my adult life. I've done my fair share of solo climbing over those years. Some of those climbs were relatively committing. I still climb mountains when I'm not recovering from motorcycle accidents or the like...

Watching this young man climb, I am at a loss for words. IMO, our culture wears out superlatives on minor shit that doesn't matter so they are ruined when it comes time to put them to proper use...

I really respect what he's doing. I think I understand it, even though I would not attempt to explain it.

d

I agree. He almost fell trying to clip, and didn't even take a second to savor the gravity of it. Maybe that's what it takes to be that strong in the head.

"...the 100 percent certainty that you will not fall off is what keeps you from ever falling off..."

-Alex Honnold

He is crazy.

You should know better.

Oh wait, maybe not... You may not ever understand because you never dared.

d

Dared what?

Rather than attempt an appropriate rejoinder, I will simply say that what I think we are witnessing in Alex's solo climbing is a form of greatness. I was surprised by your brief comment in that I would expect a person who has enjoyed this sport for a time might have given due consideration to a post on this site concerning someone who is pushing the limits of our sport, at least the mental part of it, far beyond anything anyone has yet conceived. He knows well what he is doing, and why. He is honest with himself. How many of us can say the same?

That some here can be so flippant, and careless, makes one wonder why he spends time here at all.

d

That some here can be so flippant, and careless, makes one wonder why he spends time here at all.

d

you don't, perchance, climb 5.11 old-boy? :)

don't expect much of kevbone and yer likely not to be let down - jeebus, why take anything like this so serious? it's so improbable as to be inevitably dismissed as the hinjinx of the hyper-human - as real as greek goddesses i say - this alex character might as well change his name to apollo! and that's not to denigrate it one bit, apollo was a badass too :grin:

Watching him solo makes me sick to my stomach. I think he's utterly possessed and will kill himself at some point. I know he's "solid" but you can only take so many risks so many times before the odds catch up to you.

I don't know about that, look at Peter Croft. Honnold is only a couple of notches above that.

I think it's a matter of soloing at a certain level below what you can climb roped.

Watching him solo makes me sick to my stomach. I think he's utterly possessed and will kill himself at some point. I know he's "solid" but you can only take so many risks so many times before the odds catch up to you.

I don't know about that, look at Peter Croft. Honnold is only a couple of notches above that.

I think it's a matter of soloing at a certain level below what you can climb roped.

I get what you're saying, but he's taking it into the "speed solo link up for the cameras" direction. I don't feel that this will end with anything other than him dying at this rate. At what level can he call it quits? He's always biting off a bigger piece. He is pushing the limits of free soloing even though he is climbing below his maximum technical ability. I fear that we'll look back on all his videos as prequels to the snuff film.

I get what you're saying, but he's taking it into the "speed solo link up for the cameras" direction. I don't feel that this will end with anything other than him dying at this rate. At what level can he call it quits? He's always biting off a bigger piece. He is pushing the limits of free soloing even though he is climbing below his maximum technical ability. I fear that we'll look back on all his videos as prequels to the snuff film.

Like dano

NTTAWWT. We all gotta die.

I agree. He almost fell trying to clip, and didn't even take a second to savor the gravity of it. Maybe that's what it takes to be that strong in the head.

I'm thinking that he figured he could hold his weight with his hand for a second or so if necessary. He prob figured that his left foot might come off.

I'm thinking that he is dealing with known variables, he knows the gravity force, he knows the steepness, he knows the rating, and he knows the climbs duration as it relates to his muscle fatigue and with that and ect, he feels that he simply has to climb the route while applying his known abilities. He prob accepts the fact that a rock or a person could fall on him and writes that off to calculated risk.

If he starts out on uncharted territory, now that he prob figures would be crazy. Off course he could prob down-climb.

Edited by Ed_Hobbick

He is crazy.

You should know better.

Oh wait, maybe not... You may not ever understand because you never dared.

d

Dared what?

Rather than attempt an appropriate rejoinder, I will simply say that what I think we are witnessing in Alex's solo climbing is a form of greatness. I was surprised by your brief comment in that I would expect a person who has enjoyed this sport for a time might have given due consideration to a post on this site concerning someone who is pushing the limits of our sport, at least the mental part of it, far beyond anything anyone has yet conceived. He knows well what he is doing, and why. He is honest with himself. How many of us can say the same?

d

I call your BS. One has to have a little craziness in them to even start to think about some of the things he is doing.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4714

Jack: In the video above you look pretty sketchy Alex.... make us all feel better. You weren't really that sketchy, right?

Alex: That video is not as sketchy as it looks, though obviously the position is totally badass. I just had a foot on for balance. It blew. If Ben Ditto [the photog] hadn't been right next to me I probably wouldn't have tried to be so static, so I wouldn't have had the foot on anyway.