Strobach

512dude

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up to Strobach with 3 other people Saturday. I dragged/shuttled 3 others on skis to within 30 min of the climbs. We then hiked in with floatation...or at least two of us did: one forgot his skins, one ditched the skis and skins in the trees a bit too early.

Currently there are 4 lines completely formed and many lines in various states of forming. The 4 lines are: The fourth route left of Seperation, looks to be in hard 5 condition! This route has yet to see a second ascent. The first route left of Seperation (unnamed), in WI4 condition (I climbed this one with partner), Sudden Change of Plan (WI 3+, first route right of Seperation) in pretty fat shape, and Sad Cebu (WI3, second route right of Seperation, climbed by the other party).

Ice Dream was not formed. We did not get a chance to look at First Ice on the Right, due to cloud cover.

If conditions get a little colder, this place will be pretty exciting come mid-Feb/March.

Alex

Alex:Thanks for the hard work and sparing me the recon trip in last weekend. And you have a tracked access mechanism now? hmmmm... Strobach's coming of age.

Cheers,...sobo [big Drink]

PS: I was out w/Cragg before Christmas. Was he one of the 3 you went in with?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]

Hey Paul! Tracked Access Mechanism, roger.

I tried to go in the 2nd week of Dec or something and couldnt even get up the first 1/2 mile of Milk Creek road w/ 4Runner. Larry and I had been in in October scouting around and the ice had already been forming then, so I was pretty sure stuff would be in.

Was that your new pink flagging out of the clearcut? 4 flags to yellow? I think you and I use the exact same approach, while Larry uses a completely different one.

The ice was definitely staying even with the warm temps, contrary to what seems to be happening in Leavenworth and elsewhere. Perhaps the only place in the state that has ice right now besides Baker.

Alex

Alex,Sadly, no that was not me with the flagging. I did flag the approach a couple of winters back when the area was first opening. Up Spencer Creek road to a "blue square" XC ski trail, through a small deciduous wooded area and a marsh, balance moves across the beaver dam, and up the clearcut/slide area, thru some conifers below the cliffs, and ultimately deposited at Split Rock Camp. That's my preferred approach, about 3 hours from the South Tieton Road.

Yale Preston showed me another route (before he moved to Montana) that goes up Milk Creek and follows a narrow ravine and deposits you well to the left of SRC, somewhere near the bottom of some WI4 route which I'd remember the name if I heard it. It avoids the clearcut and the beaver pond. However, this approach is bs on skis and worse on shoes, IMHO, having done it both ways. The Spencer Creek approach allows a TAM approach all the way to the blue square XC trail, and it's about 30-45 minutes to SRC from the drop-off. View's better that way, too, but you already know that.

When is your next planned excursion to Strobach, and will the TAM be employed, and can me and Cragg get in on it? I can pay my toll in beer.

[big Drink]

Cheers,...sobo

Larry Nevers Jr writes:

" Just got back last night, conditions are bad. There must have been a thaw,Sad Cebu was totally gone, Sudden Change only had ice at the bottom up tothe crux. The top of Dropline was melted out. The curtain left of dividegully was out, the two routes on the rock band above that were in but verythin. We started to climb the right side one but decided the ice was toothin to hold reliable pro.

Larry "