Yakutat to McCarthy (with Logan along the way).

wfinley

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the team I saw going for the summit on the one possible day, and who passed us two days later going down. Nice work!

The incredibly bit - after getting avalanched off the east ridge, they circumnavigated the peak to the west side to climb the Kings Trench instead.

Edited by chris

"Thtwo guys from Vancouver. When I see that they are on snowshoes I assume they are clueless. This turns out to be true- They move very slowly (4 days to our 1) despite their ‘alpine starts.’ Later they apparently told the Canadian NP that we stole their cache, but then realized that it was further down the glacier from where they were looking for it."

Wow!

Great trip thanks for posting the link!

The Hubbard is far too broken to be a good route. The East Nunatuk Glacier that they took is superb access with easy skiing very close to sea level. I did a day trip to the beach at the East Nunatuk Fjord while on a ski trip from Kluane Lake to Yakutat. We caught a boat from the back of Harlequin Lake to Yakutat as it was far cheaper than the East Nunatuk.

There is a point very near the Fjord where one can ski through a State, Province, and a Territory within a few kilometers. I remember thinking at the time that very few people had probably done that.

You are probably right about the lower Hubbard being too broken. Is there any way to avoid the worst part by taking the eastern embankment? I suspect earlier in the season wouldn't hurt either.

Myself, I always wanted to do the reverse of the 67 snow traverse up Seward down the Kaskawulsh but which way did you go on your traverse?