The cult of the Tri-Cam

I grew up trad climbing in Australia in the 90s where bolts were something only occasionally seen as a rap anchor and the standard rack looked like this:

2-3 sets of nuts

1 Full set of slung hexes up to #9 or #10

3-6 cams

Lots of knotted slings and loose biners

I recall only once or twice seeing tricams hanging on a rack and wondering WTF are those things. I've played with them in the shop once or twice but have never climbed with anyone that uses them.

On the interwebs it seems there are TWO opinions. There are those who use them and love them (and have an odd affinity towards the color pink) and there are those that HAVE NOT USED them and don't like them.

My question: I know there are many supporters, but is there anyone out there THAT HAS USED THEM and decided after using them for a while THEY DON'T LIKE THEM? If you used them and didn't like them, and ended up ditching them from your rack, tell us why. Everyone else seems to be converted once they drink the pink Kool-Aid.....

Off_Route

Note: accidentally posted this in the wrong forum section. Mods have been notified and hopefully it can be moved. Apologies!

Edited by A_Little_Off_Route

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic