Local Guides

jeb013

Hello All,

I am looking into hiring a guide next month to take my climbing knowledge to the next level. I have been climbing a little under a year now, about 3 times a week, but this has been primarily on top rope and I feel I am ready to get on the sharp end.I am pretty comfortable with movement on rock up to about .10a so I am more focused on setting pro, building anchors, rope management and multipitch techniques.

I have selected two guide services that interest me, one is Northwest Mountain School out of Leavenworth and the other is Smith Rock Climbing Guides. I am looking into 1 on 1 instruction that can be customized as the day goes on.

I was wondering if anyone could chime in with opinions or experiences with these organizations. Or if you have used both, a comparison of the two.

Thank You,

Jeb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked on some rescue missions and training events with John & Olivia's Northwest Mountain School, and I've occasionally encountered their guides on cragging days. Easy folks to work with, and Leavenworth area seems a much better venue than Smith Rock for learning traditional lead skills...

I hired Rodney Sofich with Smith Rock Climbing Guides to spend a day with me placing pro and building anchors at Broughton Bluffs (Portland). He was likeable, tuned in to learning what my specific needs and wants were and tailored the day accordingly, and I felt he was very rigorous and uncompromising on issues of safety.

You are not confined to Smith Rocks with that company. Their guides can meet you at Beacon Rock which is a great place (I am told - can't wait for it to open!) to learn multi-pitch trad clmbing.

I highly recommend John and Olivia at Northwest Mountain School. Besides being one of the best guide outfits around they are also very tuned-in to getting new leaders ready for their first leads. I have seen a scenario where they had a client mock-leading on top rope while a guide jugged next to them evaluating their placements, gear-placing stances, pros and cons of climbing techniques, etc. Seems like a great approach and you wont find a more friendly and encouraging guide service.

Leavenworth area seems a much better venue than Smith Rock for learning traditional lead skills...

I was thinking something similar, that and i plan in going mid July so probably a better chance of not getting cooked on the rock.

It does look like most people who use a guide service tend to not be dissapointed, which is encouraging.

Thanks for the feedback

Jeb

• 5 years later...