2-man roped team w/novice on Rainier: good idea?

wifey

Rainier is a funny mountain. As a triathlete, marathoner, climber myself, I have had great success on Rainier. I'm three for three so far on two different routes. Two of those were in very poor weather, and we were some of the only parties to summit. I attribute it to being damn stubborn and stronger than most.

The first two times I did it I trained like an animal and did great. The last time I did it off the couch and everyone was calling me an "animal" for being so strong. I chalk that up to a good base fitness and good genes.

This post is an absolute classic, by the way.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but you sound more like his mother than his wife. Does he know you're posting anonymously about him and his friend here?

I feel smothered just by proxy.

Here's how I see it: Your husband wants to go do something. He thinks it's fine. You think it isn't. You've probably already told him your concerns, and apparently he is going to do it anyway, or you wouldn't be posting this question. So now what are you gonna do? Go back to him and say you asked a bunch of anonymous climbers on the internet and they all agree with you? And then he's gonna change his mind, right?

Interested what your game plan is, here....

I may be in the minority but your husband sounds like he's got the fitness and a reasonable parter who's been smart enough to turn around in the past when encountering bad weather. I feel bad for the guy that you're here trying to construct an argument against him making the attempt and these jackals are spoon feeding your insecurities. If your husband needs more info, have him call the climbing rangers at Paradise.

I climbed with inexperienced climbers on a 16 hour climb of Rainier once. They worked a 40 hour week on some steep roof in Seattle, got off work and drove to Paradise with me. We climbed the mountain, picked up a solo hitch hiker on route, took some pictures with Japanese tourists and went home.

Congrats on the expected arrival of your baby. Sounds like they'll have an adventurous father. :tup:

All I can figure is people are trying to stay "spray free" with this one... I saw this chick's post over on summitpost, and everyone over there was playing right into this bullshit. I saw the thread here and thought CC commers will surely put this chick in her place.

Sorely disappointed.

OP... please see my post on SP, if you haven't already.

All I can figure is people are trying to stay "spray free" with this one... I saw this chick's post over on summitpost, and everyone over there was playing right into this bullshit. I saw the thread here and thought CC commers will surely put this chick in her place.

Sorely disappointed.

Hey Ben how about a link to the SP conversation?

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/two-man-roped-team-w-novice-on-rainier-good-idea-t62323.html

Sorely disappointed.

Hey Ben how about a link to the SP conversation?

I saw the thread here and thought CC commers will surely put this chick in her place.

Neanderthal.

I thought that it was a legitimate question from a concerned S.O. and I've been impressed with the responses. I rely on my S.O. as a reality check against my sometimes unrealistic plans. It's a partnership after all. I guess other's relationships may differ.

Neanderthal.

I thought that it was a legitimate question from a concerned S.O. and I've been impressed with the responses. I rely on my S.O. as a reality check against my sometimes unrealistic plans. It's a partnership after all. I guess other's relationships may differ.

Right. I'm sure you'd be really happy if your "SO" went behind your back on an internet forum and made you out to be some moron who'd DIE if it wasn't for her/his meddling.

You take the last wurd- I make it a point to come here for beta and TRs only... can't believe I let myself get sucked into more spray.

well for the record this question got posted at nwhikers as well.. i'm not going to judge the OP too much other than that they went for the shotgun technique in getting feedback. With all the responses at 3 (or more??) places without being knowledgeable oneself seems like it would be incredibly difficult to make rhyme or reason or distill an actual take-away from it all.

Personally I would not be thrilled if my wife did such. But I could understand in a hypothetical, ie: if there was prior headbutting about this issue.

Man, how embarrassing. Can you imagine? I'm not sure I could maintain a relationship with someone after something like this. And she posted this basically to the entire nw climbing community -- And his poor friend, all messed up from his near-death experience, or whatever. Way to go, I'm sure he really wanted that announced to the whole world. :tdown:

I know it's the newbie's forum, but being honest isn't necessarily spray.

The ST thread is an exact match for the CC post. Duplicate first post and duplicate second follow up post by the thread author.

If the author posted on a site but forgot a detail or question it seems like they would have refined their thread when posting on a different website. It suggests a shotgun posting style.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be to thrilled if my SO conducted a survey on several sites asking users to evaluate my plans.

Honey, I posted on 20 websites asking users to evaluate your plans.
:rolleyes::grlaf:

That being said, Taking the approach:

• One day ascent of the south side of Adams
  • Rest
  • One day ascent of Baker Coleman Demming

is a good way to evaluate your stamina and ability.