45 Years ago today....

Peter_Puget

June 7, 1967, the day on which Israeli forces liberated the Old City of Jerusalem from the illegal 19-year-old Jordanian occupation.

The reunification of the city was also a fundamental moment in the history of religious tolerance, opening the city of Jerusalem to worshippers of all faiths, permitting Jews to return to the Western Wall and other holy sites, and allowing Israeli Muslims and Christians to visit those sacred places in eastern Jerusalem from which they too had been barred since 1948.

link

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

also, coincidentally, the same day, 913 years ago, that christain crusaders did the same thing, murdering damn near all the inhabitants in the process :)

31 years ago on this date israel also zapped iraq's nuclear facility...

And the big news YESTERDAY (June 6th, 2012), LA country commissioners decided to finally rescind their forced relocation of Japanese-American resolution that dates to 1942.

http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10181023

To repeat:

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors today rescinded and revoked a 1942 resolution that urged the forcible relocation of Japanese Americans to internment camps.

Whew, glad we are much more civilized and politically correct now. Although it says this as well:

Bill Watanabe was born at Manzanar, perhaps the most well-known of the camps, and until recently was the executive director of the Little Tokyo Service Center, a community development organization.

Watanabe said revoking the resolution would sound an important message that ``whether you wear a turban or a hoodie ... your rights will always be respected.''

Read more: http://www.610wiod.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10181023#ixzz1x8Ywjgjb

Well, no, technically Mr Watanabe, the President can now just kill you and yours, and no one will seemingly give a shit. But at least no one will have to worry about you folks being locked up. Hope, change, progress and your tax dollars at work.

Jordon had occupied the city, then attacked Israel on the 2nd day of the 6 day war. Now they are thankfully at peace. Out with the old, in with the new.

whatever the circumstances of Jordan's custody of the West Bank and East Jerusalem, it has no bearing whatsoever on the legality of Israel annexing territory occupied during the 6 day war. Annexation of East Jerusalem by Israel is null and void said the UN, repeatedly.

Jordon had occupied the city, then attacked Israel on the 2nd day of the 6 day war. Now they are thankfully at peace. Out with the old, in with the new.

whatever the circumstances of Jordan's custody of the West Bank and East Jerusalem, it has no bearing whatsoever on the legality of Israel annexing territory occupied during the 6 day war. Annexation of East Jerusalem by Israel is null and void said the UN, repeatedly.

J_B your timing is as impeccable as your understanding of “international law” is flawed.

In any event here is a film you might enjoy:

Come watch me!

J_B your timing is as impeccable as your understanding of “international law” is flawed.

In any event here is a film you might enjoy:

Come watch me!

Or this:

[video:youtube]6c_5Sn3D6BE

J_B your timing is as impeccable as your understanding of “international law” is flawed. [/url]

I had no idea my understanding of international law had such influence with 99% of countries at the United Nations. I think I'll start throwing my weight around a lot more from now on. Thanks.