Lillowet

Cpt.Caveman

Botanie Falls Looks good from the road. Take snowshoes, snow is deep.Synchronicity Looked climbable. Last section above the trees might be harder than normal.Spray Creek Falls In.Rambles In with a little wetness but very fun.Cherry Ice was well formed. Climbed it Wednesday afternoon.Honeyman Falls had large holes and lots of water. Still forming.Deeping Wall is a thin toprope, dry tool moves at the start.Icy BC Pitch one was forming more layers. Upper pitches reportedly dry as of thursday.Waite For Spring getting better and is still two lines.The Dihedral is in.Twilight Tiers might be in. Can't see it all from the road.The Tube was very chandeliered.Loose Lady looked real hard.Carl's Berg was forming a little more. Perhaps someone will climb it?

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

climbed at Marble the 5th and 6th.

Ice is still healthy with the high on Saturday of 33F and 36f on Sunday.

Climbed IcBc skipping the 2nd pitch because of water spout. The 3rd pitch was thick with fun climbing. Also climbed the pillar to the right in fine conditions.I led the deeping wall, although i wouldn't reccomend it as I did not get good gear until almost the halfway ledge. The ice was only a couple inches thick for 40 feet or so, with a couple of rock moves to start.

The Dihedral is still forming.No deductible is the best i've seen in awhile with only 25 feet of poor gear in the middle.

dale

lillooet was really, really warm. marble canyon is still fat, except deeping wall -thin but still getting led. the lake is bomber. carl's berg was good but with lots of stuff coming down. sychronicity had a few pitches of good ice but don't count on "unbelievable amounts" -the ice bridge is not in but you can still shortcut the approach wading through the river about a hundred yards up -freakin' cold but good fun. we heard rambles was thin and oregon jack was fat. it's pretty slow up there, i suppose everyone's waiting for a cold snap -good idea.

The Rambles in in and in no way "thin". The upper steeper pitches are wet but it's all good.

Most of the other routes we looked at don't seem to have improved since New Year, based on Cpt's description, Carlsburg might have even gotten worse, the RHS seemed to have a lot of holes in it.

It was raining in Lilloette when we left at dusk on Sunday night.

quote:

Originally posted by daler:
climbed at Marble the 5th and 6th.

I led the deeping wall, although i wouldn't reccomend it as I did not get good gear until almost the halfway ledge. The ice was only a couple inches thick for 40 feet or so, with a couple of rock moves to start.dale

Ice Ninja

shocked.gif" border="0

Lilooet kicks ass. Carlsburg is definately protectable, but beware of falling Ice. The second to last pitch of Syncro is scetchy at the top, very thin and hollow tube. Last pitch in the trees looks to be the same. First slabby pitches are hard to protect, but short. Crack is a funny muther fucker.

Not much to add to the comments above, except that:

-Cherry Ice was in but melting fast. At it's narrowest point near the top of the first step, the ice was about 4' wide and about 6" deep. Above the low-angle ice went on for about 50 feet or so before petering out.

Honeyman Falls was still forming. The whole left side of the falls was running when we checked it out, and much of the falls above the first step appear to be running also. The ice on the right side seems to be forming well but was quite slushy at the base.

I was up there from the 2nd to the 4th and experienced the warm temps and wet conditions. Didn't climb nearly as much as I would like to have, but thankfully the ice isn't quite as scarce out here in CO.

I have some good beta on lodging, though. The Mile-O rocks. We paid $48 per night for a two-bedroom kitchenette with one of those jacuzzi-tubs with the "Ice Climbers Discount." They have also started a conditions log for climbers staying there.

I report that it is worth the drive, there are plenty of routes to fill a long weekend. Bring good rain gear as the routes we did were fully raining, get a room at the mile-o to dry out gear (nescecity).

I reported the conditions of the routes we did above. I'll stress again, watch for falling Ice on Carlsberg! A boatload of huge chunks came flying over my head while I was run out 3/4 of the way up the pitch. I shit my pants...

Lilloet this weekend is gonna be all about 40 people on 4 routes (Marble, Rambles, Oregon Jack & maybe NightNGale I would guess...or if you could get into Phair it might be OK) all weekend. saturday forecast is for rain and high of + 5. sunday should be colder high 2 low -4 and partly sunny. i am gonna give the lillooet ice a chance to reform and go check out some alpine cirques up the hope princeton for ice.

check the forecast for yourself weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca

talked to lyle last nite: he tells me he reckons it hasn't gone below freezing in lillooet even overnight for 3 weeks. that's in town of course, and marble, the duffey, and the bridge will be cooler; but if you're going up this weekend, expect WET! and be careful with falling ice and rocks...looks like it might start to cool out on sunday;see: http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/scripts/citygen.pl?client=ECCDN_e&city=WKF

enjoy, cheers, don

Sprague (a CC.com lurker) and I did the left side of The Rambles Saturday (Jan 12). The top pitch was most excellent and fun climbing (hard 3+ or easy 4 conditions). We were able to find a couple of different, but interesting, lines up it. We checked out The Marble Sunday and did the first pitch of IcyBC. There was some airy, chandeliery stuff in the middle which may have introduced a bit of WI4 climbing. The second pitch was basically a very unfrozen waterfall, but the third pitch looked fun. We then set up a TR on the Deeping wall. As Dale suggested, not recommended for leading due to the absense of protection for the first 35 feet or so. Of coarse, protection is all a matter of perspective, right? Ice conditions on the Deeping were about perfect. Great, plasticky, thin ice but probably a little thicker since Dale did it. Also, late Sunday (Jan 13) it was getting noticibly colder, especially in The Marble. I think the much "sought after" cold front may have arrived.

CLIMB HARD!!

-Heinous