[TR] Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir 6/2/2012

bgratias

Trip: Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir

Date: 6/2/2012

Trip Report:

Three of us climbed the NBC this past Saturday. We left the car around 8:30, and the couloir was pretty sloppy by the time we got to it. I'd recommend leaving a little earlier or starting from the lake (or just being faster than us.) The couloir was still filled with snow, and was definitely skiable with only a couple narrow points. We crossed a couple rock sections on the upper face, so I'm not sure if you could ski the whole thing. We had planned on skiing the route, but the upper face was too scary, so we skied the Colchuck Glacier instead. There were several other parties planning to climb the route on Sunday, so I'd imagine a really good bootpack is in place.

Looking up the couloir

IMG_22573.JPG

Traverse into the couloir

IMG_22542.JPG

Reaching the notch

IMG_22612.JPG

IMG_22671.JPG

DSC7747_tr.JPG

Traversing onto the face

IMG_2282.JPG

The upper face

IMG_22861.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

Trying to find a way onto the summit

DSC7785_tr.JPG

Another party on the subpeak next to the Colchuck-Dragontail col (I have more pictures of you - PM me if you want them.)

DSC7798.JPG

Skiing the Glacier

DSC7836_tr.JPG

Approach Notes:

A bootpack is in around the lake.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the weather was better than we expected. We got socked in a couple of times, and even had it snow on us for a bit, but overall it was nice. It seemed like Colchuck was a distinct dividing line for the weather - Stuart was super cloudy all day, but Colchuck Lake stayed fairly clear.

I did the NBC on May 25th and there is already a significant amount of snow melt on the north face. there was very little exposed rock on our route up except for one scary/icy step up on rock until we got to the summit area.

Very fun climb.