Ueli Steck is not Messner, either

NotMessner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Messner is a God then? Do you pray to him before you climb?

I've read a lot of Messner's writing and watched his films. He is very accomplished. I didn't say he's a wanker I said he's a poser. He was at the right place at the right time, and provided with the genes to do the job. There's a lot of people out there that given the same circumstances could accomplish the same thing.

Kukuczka totally kicked his ass, as far as difficulty and time frame.

Messner climbed the Eiger in 10 hours. Steck climbed the Eiger in 2.5 hours.

Messner and Kukuczka (and Steck, for that matter) are absolute deities of the climbing world.

THE MESSNER'S PRAYER

Our Messner, which art on the summit.

Hallowed be thy name

Thy Summit come.

Thy climb be done, at the base

As it is on the headwall.

Give us this rope and rack of gear.

And forgive us our hangdogging

As we forgive those who helicopter in.

And lead us not onto fractured cornices

And deliver us from loose death blocks.

For thine is the 8000'der

The book deals, and the movies,

For ever and ever

Belay ON!

and according to Mr Frieh, Steck is out of shape. wish i was that out of shape

Hey dumbass: go back and reread the post. The Swiss Federal Institute of Sports Magglingen (not me) said he was out of shape... which turns out was correct. He worked with them for over a year and was able to shave over an hour off his previous best time on the Eiger. 3 hours 54 minutes in 2007 to 2 hours 47 minutes in 2008.

If we are going to start debating who is the best ever, may I be so bold as to say Becky. I can't think of anyone who has more first ascents. Even though he doesn't have the 8000m tick list his own list is pretty impressive even by today's standards.

Eric

lol, reminds me of a little boy insisting that nobody could ever beat his favorite pitcher. Do you have trading cards? Let's talk about "stats"

i used to have a Colin Haley rookie card. Too bad I taped it to my bike spokes to make a motor noise. :cry:

This is my favorite post of the month.

and according to Mr Frieh, Steck is out of shape. wish i was that out of shape

Hey dumbass: go back and reread the post. The Swiss Federal Institute of Sports Magglingen (not me) said he was out of shape... which turns out was correct. He worked with them for over a year and was able to shave over an hour off his previous best time on the Eiger. 3 hours 54 minutes in 2007 to 2 hours 47 minutes in 2008.

John, you know I don't actually fully read anything.

Messner is an overhyped climber? Not! If anything, many of his ascents were not hyped or broadcast at all, and he was breaking new ground when everyone said it was IMPOSSIBLE to do what he did.

yeah, Uli is a fast climber but I don't see him doing new routes on the North face of Everest or K2. (Yet).

Kukuczka was also good, but he didn't make it. Messner is still here, that says allot about the man.

Messner is here, because as soon as the nonsense of collecting all 14 x 8000m peaks was over he never climbed again in the big mountains. His return was rather short lived and pathetic. Kukuczka was way more visionary and died trying one of hardest faces on big peak.

if you can find it, Kuckuzkas book about climbing the 8000 meter peaks is a amazing. the guy was unbelievably driven and hard core yet very modest and he comes across as a guy you would like to have a drink with(or finish the bottle!)sad loss to the world