Ueli Steck is not Messner, either

NotMessner

"At 1.15 pm I reached summit of Everest. Clouds appeared on the sky. The view was limited. I could spot Tibet on the north side. Makalu, which came out of the clouds. I thought about my ascent on Makalu. What a fight it was and how exhausted I was. Although the view was limited I had the feeling to know exactly where I was. It was not new or unfamiliar or strange. I took some pictures with the Sherpas." All-in-all, a pathetic perfomance compared to Reinhold Messner's SOLO climb of Everest without bottled oxygen. The superman of the Alps becomes just another climber of 8,000 meter peaks. [i freely admit that I am nothing, as a climber.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All-in-all, a pathetic perfomance compared to Reinhold Messner's SOLO climb of Everest without bottled oxygen. The superman of the Alps becomes just another climber of 8,000 meter peaks.

So. . . your point is that Steck is not Messner? Glad we got that sorted out.

Messner is an overhyped climber? Not! If anything, many of his ascents were not hyped or broadcast at all, and he was breaking new ground when everyone said it was IMPOSSIBLE to do what he did.

yeah, Uli is a fast climber but I don't see him doing new routes on the North face of Everest or K2. (Yet).

Kukuczka was also good, but he didn't make it. Messner is still here, that says allot about the man.

IMHO Messner is an over-hyped climber, he was just the first one there. Jerzy Kukuczka did way better than him and in much better style. Nobody back then is in the same league as Steck as far as solo of technical difficulty and speed

How many 2000 foot unclimbed cliffs did Kukuczka or Steck stand at the base of, then just climb sans rope for a free-solo first ascent of the highest grade done with a rope at the time?

IMHO Messner is an over-hyped climber, he was just the first one there. Jerzy Kukuczka did way better than him and in much better style. Nobody back then is in the same league as Steck as far as solo of technical difficulty and speed

How many 2000 foot unclimbed cliffs did Kukuczka or Steck stand at the base of, then just climb sans rope for a free-solo first ascent of the highest grade done with a rope at the time?

And Kukuczka used oxygen for Everest which pretty much blew his o2less streak. Hard to imagine anyone calling or holding an opinion of Messner as 'overhyped' - it's like calling John Bachar overhyped. Kukuczka and Messner were / are monsters.

Messner and Kukuczka (and Steck, for that matter) are absolute deities of the climbing world. Calling any of them, for any reason, "ball buffers" is the absolute height of internet climbing spray.

Kind of like calling Dave MacLeod a "wanker" because he hasn't climbed 15b or Dave Graham "weak" because he isn't even in the top 100 on 8a. It just makes you look like a buffoon.

kuckuzka did use oxygen on everest except for the top 500 meters, which seems to me is when you would want it the most? both in my opinion are two of the greatest ever. kuckuzka was definitely the harder [aka suffering] of the two, but messner was the "first" at alot. his and hablers alpine ascent of hidden peak in 77 was a good example

IMHO Messner is an over-hyped climber, he was just the first one there. Jerzy Kukuczka did way better than him and in much better style.

Nobody back then is in the same league as Steck as far as solo of technical difficulty and speed.

Messner was the best and most technical rock climber in Europe and then went on to be the best and most technical ice climber in Europe, and then he set his sights on the 8000m peaks. He'd outclimb the Poles whether he was wearing crampons, rock shoes, mountain boots, or ski boots. He was as strong as they get above 8000m