• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
KaskadskyjKozak

Mt. Si Old Trail with Great Gendarme

My 10-year old has been up Si at least a half-dozen times over the last few years, but we always seem to go when the Haystack is very wet, or covered in snow. Yesterday we headed up and bagged it.

We left the Little Si TH midday and go to the first lookout point on top in 1:45(!), and then continued straight on to the scramble. As I wanted this to be safe and stress-free, I had brought harnesses and a 30m glacier rope. I climbed up 100 feet only to be a bit short of a nice tree anchor, so my son "simul-solo'd" with me about 20-30 feet before I threw a cordelette around the tree and brought him up.

P1010788.JPG

"Pitch 2" got us to the ridge, and "Pitch 3" to the summit. It was good fun and practice/intro to multi-pitch "climbing". :-)

P1010789.JPG

P1010797.JPG

Nice! Fast boy too (and Dad)! I took my daughter up the Haystack when she was 8. A dude on his way down wearing knee high, fringed buckskin boots said it was no place for kids. I told him she climbs Index 5.10d, she should be able to handle the Haystack. Dude just looked at me blankly, had no idea WTF I was talking about.

Nice! Fast boy too (and Dad)! I took my daughter up the Haystack when she was 8. A dude on his way down wearing knee high, fringed buckskin boots said it was no place for kids. I told him she climbs Index 5.10d, she should be able to handle the Haystack. Dude just looked at me blankly, had no idea WTF I was talking about.

There are always people ready to offer unsolicited advice. Oh well. :-)

There are always people ready to offer unsolicited advice. Oh well. :-)

A wise man once said "don't criticize what you can't understand"...

I've tried to adhere to that adage over the years.

Good on you and the boy K. Looks like fun.

d

Nice job! I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing with my 8 year old this summer. Maybe I'll bite the bullet though and haul up a 60m.