Bugaboos- hut v camping poll

Been to the bugaboos? Did you camp at Appleby or stay at the Kain hut? Did you wish you'd done the other? I'm planning my first trip this summer. Was planning on the hut, but JPark highly recommended the Appleby campsite for proximity to climbs. I'm a bit leary of some notorious weather coming in and being much less comfortable in tent. Then again, when was alpine climbing about comfort?

Other opinions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We camped at Applebea for two weeks. Actually we camped below Kain hut for a few days before coming to our senses and moving up to Applebea. the weather was pretty good while we were there - we had a few days of crappy weather, but camping wasn't too bad. Just make sure you stake your tent out well - big piles of rocks - it's just a granite slab. If the weather's shitty, just walk out. staying at the hut adds about 30 minutes to your day on either end, but you're that much faster getting going since you're warm and dry. I'd say camp and either bail to the hut if you need to or walk out and spend the shitty weather in town.

extended foul weather can flush most people away, especially those camping. Sitting in the hut, while feeling like you are wasting time, is comfortable and when the weather improves, you will have the area to yourself. This is becoming a rarity.

We sat in the hut for 3 days during a nasty spell with heavy rains. Every day, another batch of soggy campers would hike out. But on that fourth day, it was alpine nirvana. Took a couple days for the crowds to return.

But if it is nice, applebee is much closer and a little cheaper and bit more scenic. Has toilets too.

We stayed at the Boulder Camp, below the hut. Probably the most mosquito infested camp site I've ever camped at.

Appleby;

Pros:

Closer to climbs

Cheap - $5 a day when I was there

Cons:

Have to shlep gear a bit further and carry a tent

Exposed, harder to stake tent out on granite slabs

Boulder Camp

Pros:

Cheap, $5 a day when I was there

Don't have to shelp gear as far as Appleby

Sheltered and easy to pitch a tent

Con's

Lots of mosquitos

A little bit farther from climbs

Have to shelp a tent

Kain Hut

Pros:

Don't have to shelp a tent

Dry and sheltered in a storm

Lots of interesting international folks to chat with

Nice to hang in bad weather

Cons:

More expensive - $18 a day when I was there

A little bit farther from climbs than Appleby

Sleeping arrangement is communal - if you don't like sleeping in the Muir hut, you won't much like sleeping at the Kain hut either.

If I were to go again I would stay in the Kain Hut. Back when I went I was broke, so the extra $13 a day was a big deal. The extra distance in my opinion is not a big deal. You are a fast guy, you will cover the distance quickly. Just get up 30 minutes earlier. However, you will be sleeping on the floor with 40 of other climbers. If you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs and maybe a sleep mask. If sleeping with strangers is an issue, you may be more comfortable in a tent. In that case I would opt for Appleby over the Boulder camp as it has fewer bugs and is also closer to the climbs. The approach was not long anyway. I think it took me 90 minutes with a full, 5,500 cu inch pack to Kain Hut. By Cascades standards it was very, very reasonable. The bolted ladders were neat and added a European flair to the whole affair.

Edited by DPS

I've done it both ways. I'd say camp (applebee) on rainy days hang out in the hut and sleep in your tent at the end of the day.

If you're there for a short mission,(weekend) staying at the hut might be nice as you wouldn't have to lug up a tent, cooking gear, camp pad etc.

The hut is often filled up with guided groups and peak bagging type folks. Usually nice people, but sometimes having to listen to someone drone on about their 5.6 redpoint "trad proj" for three days in a row can wear on the nerves. An iPod is a good idea.

Also, note the hut is often full, reservations are a good idea. I've gotten into some uncomfortable discussions trying to find a corner to sleep in when the hut is full.

-Nate

when using the Kain hut in the ancient days, I would usually bed down in one of the numerous boulder-caves nearby - private sleeping quarters, perfectly dry, and the hut kitchen and social scene ready at hand. one advantage to this practice is we could easily check the weather at midnight - when we saw stars, we'd go, generally be done by the time the weather went to hell later in the day - and it was fun to sit in the hut with a hot drink and watch the stream of "drowned rats" straggle back in over the course of the afternoon... I have no idea whether this is permitted these days...