[TR] Colchuck Lake - North Buttress Couloir - Acid Baby 5/27/2012

Verticolorful

Trip: Colchuck Lake - North Buttress Couloir - Acid Baby

Date: 5/27/2012

Trip Report:

Wow. Climbing has been providing me with experiences that words really can not capture. I am so thankful to have such inspirational people and amazing landscapes around me everyday.

On Saturday I got to the trail head at 6am and started moving. I was considering doing The North Buttress Couloir or Colchuck Glacier; this was my first steep snow climb, so I wanted to feel out my options first. Once I arrived at the lake the snow was so perfect, I knew I was doing NBC. Deciding to travel light made the entire outing really fun. I ended up making back to my car just after 12pm. What a good morning.

100_0376.JPG

100_0397.JPG

100_0400.JPG

100_0402.JPG100_0403.JPG100_0404.JPG100_0408.JPG

Asgaurd pass Beta

100_0394.JPG

On Monday Grant showed up to my house at 6am; Stoke was super high to get on this Leavenworth classic. Acid baby is an amazing route that provides EVERYTHING in the way of a fun climbing adventure. The route is almost completely dry and snow provides a super fast decent. I consider it to be my favorite climb so far.

We walked across the lake on our decent and I DO NOT suggest this beta at all!

100_0419.JPG

100_0425.JPG

100_0428.JPG

100_0430.JPG

100_0431.JPG

100_0432.JPG

100_0435.JPG

Gear Notes:

NBC:

Pickets and rock gear would work great for a running belay or simu-climb.

Acid Baby:

Doubles from Blue alien to #3 Camalot and a 60 meter worked great.

Approach Notes:

to avoid post-holing travel in early morning. To cross Asguard pass without crampons wait tell later in the day.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dana! I was stoked to meet you guys on such a spectacular day. Way to get after it!! Hopefully I will be seeing you around.

Layton: the route is a classic for sure. Thanks for finding this gem.

The fourth to last pic is of Dragontail from Acid Baby. Not sure what route that would be.

Edited by Verticolorful

I climbed TC on Saturday (will post a TR soon, although I ran my camera through the wash so pictures may be not in the cards). We found excellent conditions in the couloirs. The runnels were "in"ish although thin and appearing snicey, but we didn't take that section instead choosing the first bypass. If I get my memory card to work, I will throw up some pictures. I took at least one from the base of the runnels as well as one from across the lake.

Edited by bonathanjarrett

you've prob figured this out by now, but i believe that's the NE couloir on D-tail. looks almost skiable...

V-ful, thanks for the pics on NBC, looks fat with snow. is there continuous snow on the NW face (the stretch above NBC) too?

you've prob figured this out by now, but i believe that's the NE couloir on D-tail. looks almost skiable...

V-ful, thanks for the pics on NBC, looks fat with snow. is there continuous snow on the NW face (the stretch above NBC) too?

Yes there is snow the whole way on NBC. In fact I saw a bad ass skiing it on Monday!