Adams Approach Beta

DyP

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave Adams a shot over the Friday/Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Had about a 5 mile road slog, but even in the 30 hr difference between going up and coming down it was melting out fast. Probably get get at least 1/2 mile to a mile further now.

I used the winter direct route up the South Butte and the Suksdorf Ridge to Lunch Counter then to Piker's Peak (false summit). The standard south side route along the edge of Crescent Glacier had a HUGE cornice along the ridge.

Me and my partner didn't make the top. We only had a narrow window with our work schedules and the wind didn't die down until much later than forecasted on Saturday. Got really beat up by the wind camping at Lunch Counter and breaking trail up to Piker's Peak. Whiteout was in and out with gnarly winds, I got blown over twice and then we decided to call it. Came back to a broken tent at Lunch Counter. Other people may have made it later that day, but I guess for once the ole alpine start put us at a disadvantage with the wind and all.

Down low snow got really soft really quick. On account of the winds and storm up higher it was either bare icy snow or deep windblown powder. Also - all the rock shelters at Lunch Counter were filled with hard ice and snow that would have taken major effort to excavate if you were planning on using them.

That was a week ago. Things might have changed. Good luck. I'll be back later in the season to give it another go. I was hoping to avoid the crowds with the early season attempt but I guess I also avoided the summit...

We went up this past Fri & Sat (6/1-6/2). Road was easily driveable to within 1/4 mile of the Goshen Creek trailhead. Probably will be at least a week or two before it's open to Morrison Creek. There were 6 or 8 bare spots to cross but otherwise the road was nicely skiable.

Weather was lousy (nasty wind, frequent rain & graupel) but we had a brief view of the summit on Sat morning and booted up to the top of Piker's while the clouds built again. Couldn't see more than 20 feet and the burgers in Hood River were calling so we skipped the slog to the main summit. The hill between Lunch Counter and Piker's was pretty good styrofoam for cramponing and will probably turn into decent corn on the lower slope if/when it gets some sun.

Hoping to climb Adams Tuesday night (6/5).. I haven't climbed it yet. Just planning on doing the South Spur. I have a couple questions:

Are snowshoes advisable for the road slog? Ski's are not an option for my group.

It seems most people are camping at the Lunch Counter. Is it realistic to do the climb in one day car to car with the extra 4(ish) miles added on?

Thanks

Hoping to climb Adams Tuesday night (6/5)..

Are snowshoes advisable for the road slog? Ski's are not an option for my group.

It seems most people are camping at the Lunch Counter. Is it realistic to do the climb in one day car to car with the extra 4(ish) miles added on?

Thanks

Car-to-car is definitely doable.

It took us about 5 hours to get to LC, w/ skis. With basic camping gear. Figure another 3 hours or so to the top if the upper slopes are firm. There's no way I would attempt the hike in boots right now, unless the freezing level drops to ~5000 feet and you're leaving the car at 1 am.

Edited by Stinkydog

• 2 weeks later...