[TR] Darrington/Illusion Wall - The Page 5/26/2012

benmurphy

Trip: Darrington/Illusion Wall - The Page

Date: 5/26/2012

Trip Report:

Rainman and I took advantage of the sunny forecast and climbed The Page on Illusion Wall on Saturday. Neither of us had been up this route and we were both impressed with the quality of the climb...stellar climbing and awesome features on perfect granite! Still some avalanche debris (steep and icy in places) you have to traverse on the approach...ice axe would have been nice...probably melt within the next 3 weeks or so though. Illusion Wall is looking prime!

Some pics...

Illusion_Wall_from_Approach.jpg

Looking_Uproute_from_Base.jpg

Pitch_14.jpg

Nice_granite.jpg

Near_crux.jpg

Somewhere_on_Route.jpg

Nice_corner.jpg

Near_top.jpg

Gear Notes:

Single set of cams to 1.5", 16 draws

Approach Notes:

Ice axe may be helpful for a few weeks yet...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The route starts about 100 feet or so west (climbers left) of the start of Excalibur (after the approach pitch along the 4th class traverse)...it's a good one, I'm sure you'd thoroughly enjoy!

Link to the original post showing start...

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1046384

Edited by benmurphy

I hear you Ben. The Page is another stellar and challenging climb, equally as good as any other on the wall. My hat's off to the FA boys. They figured it out and produced a beauty. I love its position on the wall. Nice job Brandon! The Illusion Wall just keeps cranking these babies out. If you've not sampled the goods up there yet, you ought to check it out. These are all modern mixed sport/trad routes with good gear on impeccable stone. Think of it as Washington's answer to Red Rocks, NV and you'll know what I mean. So the season is here! Grab the next good sunny day and go get some.