How to Carry Ice Axe on Airplane?

Jeff W

Looking for suggestions on carrying my ice axe on an airplane. I can't imagine they would let me take it in my carry-on pack, so would have to check a gear bag at $20 bucks per bag. The other concern with checking a gear bag is finding my axe sticking through the side of the bag at the carousel. Is it common to wrap the axe in something before stashing in the gear bag?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure there is some rule that can be used to keep you from carrying your ice axe on the plane. TSA is inconsistent in applying rules, I wouldn't chance it. Make carboard and duct tape pick, adze and spike protectors to keep it from poking anything on your checked bag.

I've flown with my axe a lot, never as a carry on. although my friend tried once--claimed the airline ok'd it on the phone. nearly gave the security folks a coronary. and that was pre 9-11

I usually pack a duffel bag, lay my pack empty on the bottom and put the axes on top of it. I have a rubber guard that slides on the adze and the pick, then I have a leather guard for the spike. Put my trekking poles there too. then I pack other clothes and gear around it.

Friend of mine uses a combo of cardboard and plastic film canisters (remember those?) all held together with duct tape.

good luck!