Spray Paint on Slesse Descent. WTF!?!

Buckaroo

you may be missing the essential truth of Wilderness? that you are nothing? that you and all you might do Is Nothing? spray paint will be ate up by lichen soon enough, and you and yours deep in the ground by then, so you can lighten up, or beat your modern monkey to death w/ a glorified bone if you wish, little difference :)

Exactly, but I'm sure we both disagree with the idea. It's wrong and something I'd condemn, however, of all the wrong things to get outraged and worked up all red in the face over in the world (political, financial, warfare, etc etc) this is near the bottom of the pile.

Oh, Dwyaner, re. your tirade on bolts, next time I do Crest jewel in Yosemite (did it last week via Royal Arches approach), I want you leading. Finding those "3" special bolts on a full pitch on a big route, where they are all but invisible until you are feet away, makes you long for more of them -not less: wilderness or not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty bummed to hear about this.

The only other time I saw spray paint in the mtns was at the base of the Fisher Chimneys on Shuksan. Though the spraypainted arrow turned us around and helped get us back en route in the darkness of the early morning, it really bothered me. I thought about it most of the day and wondered who would have the audacity to desecrate such a sacred mtn.

What's done is done, time will wash away this travesty (I hope!).

Folks, don't ever spraypaint in the hills, be minimal with your cairning, and only flag if it is absolutely necessary (never felt the need to do this, but I have followed some crucially flagged trails..). If you have a fire in the hills (where its allowed) keep it small, do it on top of a flat rock and flip the rock over when done, camp on hard surfaces or use what's already there, boulderers: scrub off your tick marks(!!!), take the time to avoid shortcuts on switchbacks and trails, if you comfortize a bivy uncomfortize it when your done, leave no trace my friends, these hills are precious, treat them as such.

after long and careful research I found the reference to spray paint in F.O.T.H.

"Freedom of the Hills for Dummies"

AKA "Freedom of the Hills for the Complete Idiot"

"Chapter 23. Do NOT use spray paint to mark routes. No no NO"

asterisk "spray paint NO"

footnote "spray paint NEVER"

index " spray paint NO, pg 125"

NO NO NO NO NO

[video:youtube]

Speaking of permanent desecration of rock - how about that Valley of the Kings? Nature was reclamining it until some yahoos decided to dig out and display that eye sore again!

Your utter ignorance speaks for itself.

Spray paint is the worse, horrid even.

Bolting, well it's all about the end product.

Archaeology is like getting good FA info in a guidebook, its fun and interesting and they will revegetate the valley anyway when they are done. :)

Weigh in here Raindawg. We know you don't like bolts.

What about spray paint on the Slesse descent? Tell us why it's wrong.

Freedom of the Hills, 7th Edition. The first book every gumby should buy. Also referred to even after you are well experienced.

Chapter 7 is titled "leave no trace". So an entire chapter is devoted to what we are talking about here.

Chapter 5, Navigation, Mark the route if necessary. "plastic surveyors tape is sometimes used, but it's use is discouraged due to it's neon blight and permanence. ... One commandment here, remove your markers." "Markers are litter, and mountaineers never ever litter."

I need to search this book and see if there's anything about spray paint. Not enough time right now but a quick scan it doesn't show up. Apparently even the gumby manual assumes no one is stupid enough to even consider the use of spray paint in the wilderness.

Brother Buckaroo....I ain't endorsing spray paint at all. The paint is ridiculous. I was just adding a little perspective by citing a personal cause...some of the folks who might complain about the paint probably have no problem clipping closely-spaced permanent sport bolts, or gratuitous bolts in the wilderness, which to me, are at least as audacious.

I understand and agree with you about bolts although I do sometimes occasionally clip them, so am somewhat hypocritical.

Bolts are arguably a necessary evil, but never in wilderness and ONLY where there is absolutely no other protection possible and the route is not a free solo for mortals.

The environmental impact of spray paint is not as bad as bolts but from an aesthetic standpoint it's just as bad. Sort of like playing vid games with all the cheat codes. Spray painting the descent route is just one step away from spray painting the climbing route.

MORE Spray paint. Maybe some browns or greys. Watch some Bob Ross for a little inspiration.

Seriously, I was thinking about that. It would be the quickest. But if you didn't get a good match it would still be visible, and then the camo color would wear off before the bright color.

Depends how much of these markers there are as to how practical it will be to clean them off. I don't mind paint remover and a wire brush but there's only so much time.