Anyone know dates for Lillooet ice fest?

Fromage

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lillooet Ice Climbing Festival

The Fest is a GO for 2002 and will be directed by Team Lillooet, a local business/ tourism advocacy group. I've willing passed along the event to the group, and particularly Paul Malkinson (Melvin's on Main Guesthouse). They're keen to build on the 2001 event and have my full support.

The event is scheduled for January 18th to the 20th, 2002, and all information can be gleaned from Paul at TeamLillooet@lillonet.org. It's my understanding they will have a website soon. I hope to help Paul and Team Lillooet where I can, esp. in regards to contacts. However, I'm more inclined to climb that weekend, maybe take a clinic and relax this year. Please don't hesitate to contact Paul if you've got an idea/ proposal/ sponsorship/ donation for the 2002 event!

Lillooet Ice Climbing Maps Update

Apologies to all who attended last year's Fest and haven't received a map yet. They've taken a backseat to life this summer (I did get a lot of great climbing in...), but aim to have them out before the local ice is in. If you've changed address since the Fest please let me know so I can get a map to you.

Hope to see you at the Lillooet Ice Climbing Festival 2002!

They had Will Gadd and Kim Alphabet CZI*&* last year. Also a slew of British dudes and others giving slide shows on mtneering paragliding and ice climbing. There were prizes and beers [big Drink] and ice too. There were even equipment demos and clinics. There was even Caveman rolleyes.gif" border="0

Just don't expect to climb Icy BC that weekend or for 2 weeks it was all chopped up for a while. I'll be heading somewhere else not secret but farther away so I can avoid the crowds.

Who knows maybe Fred Beckey will be there. I spoke to him last year but not at the Fest.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

i've heard that the dates have been moved to jan. 25th-27th, but i can't back that up. i consider the guy who told me this to be reliable, and he is planning our trip to the festival, so i hope he's right wink.gif" border="0

just wanted to pass that heads up to everyone out there planning to go. cheers. [big Drink]

Here's the deal as I see it. I got the same email cavey did,1.) I'm surprised by "pauls" lack of response, 2.) I'm surprised by the lack of organization, as opposed to last years. and 3.) the fact that all the biggies will be at Ouray.

I hope it goes on and goes well, but I might be headin' to CO.

sean

It wuz pretty easy to avoid the crowds. 200 people there and 100 of them were at Marble Canyon on Sat and Old Dogs New Pix on Sun. Another 90 were on either other way around (Old Dog ->marble), or on Rambles, Plan B, or Carls Berg. we did Hell Freezes Over and Cedar Creek Falls on Sat and on sun we did...um... I was too hungover to remember what we did, but it was sure fun, I believe. And I won half the booty Sat. night cause it was trivia contest giveaway. grin.gif" border="0

I heard a rumor Guy Lacelle and/or Sean Isaac is coming to this one. cool.gif" border="0

Also I told Lyle about the thread on here about Americans complaining of hostility in the bars and he said he might set up guided bar crawl and/or safe zones for drunk Yankees for ya tongue.gif" border="0

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]