Alpental

philfort

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldn't really see much up there Saturday due to clouds/snow, but the one time it opened up the East side of Denny (that big cliff) looked way plastered with snow. Things have been cold at the pass, but not cold enough for substantial waterice to form. Lots of icicles...

I bet that the NF & NEB of Chair, and S/E routes on Guye will be in climable shape once this snow firms up. Who knows though, that could be until the christmas inversion!

I hiked, er, snow-shoe-swam, to Snow Lake yesterday (Sunday). Excellent exercise, all that hip-deep post-holing with the snow shoes on.

The weather was nice during that brief high-pressure period in the morning, and we got some cool views, but then it started dumping again. We saw some icicles but nothing climbable. I took some photos from the saddle above (south of) the Lake, here's one of the Chair.

chair.jpg

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: fleblebleb ]

This winter is not quite like the last one........ The ice frenzy that went on last year probably will not occur this season. Meaning I don't think there will be as much ice. Lots of stuff might just be covered with snow. I think I remember Alpental flows had formed with little snow and the masses were out investigating last year. Just bust out the skis Yo.

quote:

Originally posted by highclimb:
cpt,

your joking ryte? this winter is going to be much more severe than the late one

Last year at this time I think we had lots of clear (i.e. cold) nights to set things up. Not this year. Plus all that snowpack insulating the streams?

This year is shaping up to be like a 'normal year', at least as far as I've experienced. Although snow level has been pretty low a bunch of times already this season, that's encouraging.

I loved it last season, all the skiers were whining, but there was enough snow for ice. I hope we get a colder/drier spell soon.

Dan E.

Hey, you know what, last year wasn't bad for skiing either. The Cascades already get more than enough snow, and the lack of precip last year actually made for a lot of nice powder days, since when it gets warm and wet, it ruins the snow, but when it stays dry (and warm), the powder lingers on the north slopes...

lets pray for no snow! shocked.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Went up into Alpental this morning. Its been pretty warm up there even with these last few cooler nights.

Alpental Falls is running water.Kiddie Cliff is in but buried. You'll get a whole 20 ft of actual ice climbing in.There are some crazy looking thin icicles 100-200 yards downvalley of Kiddie Cliff, stuff that did not form last year, than certainly have potential if it keeps freezing.

Wasnt able to scope out upper valley due to cloud cover and time. Snow is deep, but beaten snowshoe tracks all over the valley.

Alex

Headed up toward Chair about 6:00am, thinking (okay, wishing) there might be a climb in it. Two feet of powder on top of an icy layer with consolidated snow under that layer.

Halfway between the Snow Lake divide and Source Lake, did a couple of Rutschblock tests on different aspects. All blocks sheared as soon as both feet were gently planted. I'd rate the slopes as unstable and probably will stay that way until some wet weather consolidates it.

Based on this, I figured the north face of Chair was out of the question. The buttress might have gone, but it would have been a long slog on unstable slopes to get to the base of it.

So we went to Denny's in North Bend and ate eggs instead. Will try the face in February, if it's in.

Soloed the N face of Chair today, under brilliant, bluebird skies. There was some excavating on the last pitch to get down to the ice, but it is well cleared now. Overall, there was plenty of ice on the route. I would recommend jumping on it before it starts snowing again. I took a 60m 6mm, but if you are confident in your ability on the face then don't take a rope at all (The descent gully now has enough snow in it to be easily downclimbed).

The NE buttress looked fine too, and there was one party on it. I did not think that avalanche conditions were at all high on the approach slopes.