Beta on Banff in August

jrex

I just got a surprise visit to Banff dropped in my lap and I can't stop smiling. My question is if I can only do one full day of climbing should I spend it on Mt. Louis? I am eyeing the Gmoser route or maybe the Kain. I have not seen many TRs on the Gmoser but what I've seen makes me want to do it even more...Are there any permit issues? Should we go on a week day to avoid crowds? Any info will be appreciated...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been there once so here is only one data point. We climbed Homage to the Spider on Louis on a Tuesday in August. It was a very fun route and it's a beautiful area, so (taking in to consideration that I haven't done a lot of stuff there), I would recommend it. We did not see a single other person except in the parking lot and the summit register wasn't all that full either. No permits required to climb. You do need to pay to enter the park and to camp (the TH parking lot for Louis is day use only).

We spent about a week in the Canmore/Banff area and didn't really see what I would call "crowds" anywhere. We climbed at Yamnuska and in Kananaskis on the weekend -- both times we saw a lot of hikers but only one other group of climbers. On weekdays we hardly saw anybody. We were mostly doing routes in the Canadian Rock select guidebook that were about 5.8 and about 8 pitches, which I would expect to be the most popular sort of thing.

Lack of crowds is a very good thing because of the loose rock, but I'm sure you've already heard about the infamous Canadian Rockies limestone if you've started picking out routes.

One thing that I wasn't used to from being around here: trails and such occasionally get closed or have a minimum party size because of bear activity.

Alex and I did brewer buttress on castle rock years ago. that was a great day. never been on louise but I suspect that the rock is better on castle. Maybe you could run your question through a knowledgable local banff person? Ask will gadd as he is very helpful when he is around the computer. If you go to louise, make a tr with photos for us homeys. :)