Tieton Climbing Access

AlpinistAndrew

I started trad lead climbing this summer when I was living at Sunrise in MRNP, so I went to Tieton, using Selected Climbs in the Cascades Vol. II. My partner and I went to Royal Columns, but there was no bridge going over the river like it said in the book and we didn't see any signs saying the place was closed for eagle nesting. (So we forded the river and climbed, interestingly enough we came upon an emu-a large australian bird-). I was wondering if anyone knew what was up with the bridge being gone and what the situation is with climbing at Royal Columns (were we not supposed to be there). [big Drink]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bridge has been out for nearly a year. Your approach options are 1) wade river, 2) Tyrolean traverse on steel cable just upstream, or 3) cross suspension bridge upstream at The Bend and hike 30 minutes or so on trail. Wading is fastest if the water level is low.

Royal Columns is sometimes closed for raptor nesting in the spring, although it is usually opened in April or so.

• 2 months later...

It isn't Index, but then again it isn't the Fisher Towers either. The rock is generally quite compact and less friable than Frenchman's Coulee. On established routes, the cracks are solid and gear can be excellent. You are more likely to break off a hand or foot hold, than blow out your gear.