Muscott Basin Access

Flying_Ned

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shwacked up there thirty years ago and found sections of trail (cut logs) high above and along the creek. For the most part we linked game trails with the path least resistance until tree line. We ended up climbing eastward to avoid slide alder around 3500' toward the pass leading to Wildcat, then followed the ridge line west. Bivied in lovely country below the saddle over Hungry creek before dropping down to complete circuit. Heavy brush, as I recall. When in doubt, stay high, I would say.

This is quite the coincidence. Didn't think I would see mention of this creek only a week after reading about it in the Dose ranger station log. I volunteered at the station last weekend and read through past posts. About 3 years ago the high lakes crew from ONP made a trek, fording the river in September near Muscott flats, finding the old trail, which they described as being in surprisingly good shape except for it was overgrown with Rhodies. They ended up taking like 6 hours to gain the ridge above Wildcat Lake before retracing their steps.

I also have a route description going right up the spine between Tumbling Creek and Brokenfinger Creek.

It got my interest up. Would like to check out that lake and little tarn above. If anyone is interested in going sometime give me a shout.

John