Canada in the news (Not?)

Crux

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their record on freedom of speech is certainly not impressive. They've even tried to keep Andrew Dice Clay from performing, because "his routines tend to promote hate against women"

From Crash Test Dummies: Canada's Experiments with Free Speech

Among the things cited to support allegations of "hate propaganda" were Clay's use of a "diminutive" voice to imitate women, making them sound "vague and stupid," and telling a Rodney King joke. Although Clay was allowed to perform, the City Council voted to establish guidelines limiting the type of act that could be booked into civic theaters.

And they call Americans prudes! Most Canadians, I think, are actually quite conservative. I guess it's not surprising -- despite pockets of liberalism, most of Canada is basically Texas, isn't it?

Edited by rob

To see what Canadian courts must do to restrict information, let's look first at one of the most notorious murder cases in Canadian history--the Bernardo/Homolka case. To make sure that the defenses of both Homolka (who came to trial first) and Bernardo (to be tried in early 1995) could be heard by unbiased juries, the judge ordered a "temporary, partial" ban on publication or distribution of information about the "circumstances of the deaths of any person referred to during the trial of the defendant" (G&M, 30 December 1993, A2).

Many Canadians went to considerable lengths to get information about the case. Some drove across the border to buy American newspapers. But Canadian Customs agents (more about them in the next section) permitted only one copy for each returning Canadian, confiscating any additional copies. At one border crossing, Customs officials turned away 600 copies of the New York Times. At another, Canadian authorities massed one morning and searched every newspaper truck coming from the United States (Wall Street Journal [WSJ], 8 December 1993, AI5). According to the Christian Science Monitor (CSM), as of December 1993 sixty-one people had been detained in connection with violating the judicial ban, and 187 papers had been seized (28 December 1993, 12).

:lmao:

Their record on freedom of speech is certainly not impressive. They've even tried to keep Andrew Dice Clay from performing, because "his routines tend to promote hate against women"

From Crash Test Dummies: Canada's Experiments with Free Speech

Among the things cited to support allegations of "hate propaganda" were Clay's use of a "diminutive" voice to imitate women, making them sound "vague and stupid," and telling a Rodney King joke. Although Clay was allowed to perform, the City Council voted to establish guidelines limiting the type of act that could be booked into civic theaters.

And they call Americans prudes! Most Canadians, I think, are actually quite conservative. I guess it's not surprising -- despite pockets of liberalism, most of Canada is basically Texas, isn't it?

Canada exemplifies where liberalism leads once it takes hold. When you guys "win" here, you may be very disappointed in the outcome.

Canada exemplifies where liberalism leads once it takes hold. When you guys "win" here, you may be very disappointed in the outcome.

It's amazing that you can still demonstrate this level of "us vs. them" divisiveness, especially considering that you and I appear to agree on this issue. It's confusing to me how you can, on the one hand, acknowledge your basic agreement with me on the grand ideals of freedom of speech, but on the other hand lump me into a group of "you guys" who are actively trying to destroy what you and I apparently agreed on just moments before. It's kind of surreal. Especially when my original point was that Canada isn't actually very liberal.

Me: "Hey, Wow, look at this! Canada actually isn't very liberal at all! Shocking! America is way better."

You: "Yeah, you're right. But this is what happens when people like you get their way."

:crazy:

Personally, I don't know any major U.S. liberal icon that thinks freedom of speech should be limited in this manner, and I doubt the ACLU would support such legislation -- in fact, that particular organization would probably fight to the death against legislation like this. Yet you probably lump the ACLU into the group of "you guys" who are trying to destroy america or whatever.

Here's a direct question for you: Would this country be better off if the conservatives in charge lacked any liberal opposition?

Edited by rob

It's amazing that you can still demonstrate this level of "us vs. them" divisiveness, especially considering that you and I appear to agree on this issue. It's confusing to me how you can, on the one hand, acknowledge your basic agreement with me on the grand ideals of freedom of speech, but on the other hand lump me into a group of "you guys" who are actively trying to destroy what you and I apparently agreed on just moments before. It's kind of surreal. Especially when my original point was that Canada isn't actually very liberal.

Me: "Hey, Wow, look at this! Canada actually isn't very liberal at all! Shocking! America is way better."

You: "Yeah, you're right. But this is what happens when people like you get their way."

:crazy:

Personally, I don't know any major U.S. liberal icon that thinks freedom of speech should be limited in this manner, and I doubt the ACLU would support such legislation -- in fact, that particular organization would probably fight to the death against legislation like this. Yet you probably lump the ACLU into the group of "you guys" who are trying to destroy america or whatever.

Here's a direct question for you: Would this country be better off if the conservatives in charge lacked any liberal opposition?

Lighten up Francis. :-)

Shit, why do Canadians still make jokes about how bad American beer is?

:lmao: ain't that the truth

Canadians also claim Americans are nationalist zealouts (U.S.A! U.S.A!) but everytime I am in Canada, I can't help to notice the huge # of Canadian flags everywhere, on shirts, clothes, etc. as well as logos and signs announcing works/projects/etc funded by the Canadian gov't.

Canada is turning out to be like that drunk girl who looks pretty good at the party in the dark, but then you realize the next morning when you wake up that she's actually a dumb hillbilly who kinda smells like ass and was obviously lying about her modeling career

Shit, why do Canadians still make jokes about how bad American beer is?

:lmao: ain't that the truth

Canadians also claim Americans are nationalist zealouts (U.S.A! U.S.A!) but everytime I am in Canada, I can't help to notice the huge # of Canadian flags everywhere, on shirts, clothes, etc. as well as logos and signs announcing works/projects/etc funded by the Canadian gov't.

Don't like it, then stay home. most definitely don't go and visit canada and then spray how bad it is.

Don't like it, then stay home. most definitely don't go and visit canada and then spray how bad it is.

Wait, I thought we were all supposed to try things first before complaining about them? I'm so confused

Unlike America Canadians have something to be proud of.

A Canadian guy is walking down the street with a case of beer under his arm.

His friend stops him and asks, "Hey Dave! Whatcha got that case of beer for?"

"Well, I got it for my wife, you see?" answers Dave.

"Wow," exclaims Randy, "Great trade."