Trango Extreme Vs. Trango Prime

Austin88

Hey guys, I'm looking to officially buy my first pair of boots and I want the lightest possible but still solid enough to get the job done year round. I'm willing to sacrifice a little warmth so I have narrowed it down to these two. So please give me your input on these two and what would be my best bet.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trango Alp is an uninsulated, 3/4 shank boot without a toe welt; so you would have to use at least semi-automatic crampons (straps on the toe). The Trango Extreme is somewhat insulated, and has a full shank, with toe and heel welt, so you can use fully automatic crampons (crampons that have toe bail and heel piece.) The Extremes are much stiffer, so they climb steep snow or ice better, but don't walk as well. The Alps, walk better and would easier to climb alpine rock with.

What do you plan on climbing? Do you have crampons? If you have full autos, they won't work on the Trangos. Summer hikes/scrambles/climbs - Alps. More vertical stuff or in colder environs - Extremes. If you can only afford one boot and plan on some volcanos, go for the extremes; although Trangos will work in most summer conditions. If you plan on alpine climbs to say 9000' with some longer approaches, get the Trangos.

Go to Pro Mountian Sports, Jim stocks both and will give you the full run down.

OK, I just saw the title of the thread. You asked about Extrems vs. Prime, not Prime vs. Alps; so add this. I have a pair of Primes, walk OK, OK for alpine climbing, clumsy on rock. Not too warm either. Primes are really an ice boot. I'd say go with Extremes for general alpine stuff.

Edited by BirdDog

Thanks for the great article Zickler. And thanks for the input birddog, from what you two have told me and a few other people I'll go with the Trango ext. I'm going to definetly hit up pro mountain sports to talk to Jim, thanks again birddog!

Cheers guys!

Austin

main difference between extreme & prime is amount of rocker on the sole. extreme has flatter sole, feels more natural for most when climbing rock. prime rocks more, so prime will walk easier. both climb well. both are well insulated. more rocker can be an advantage on steep ice for those who have difficulty keeping their heels low when frontpointing. I had the misfortune of needing both ankles rebuilt after a long ride in an avalanche three years ago, and switching to the prime has accommodated my reduced range of motion. if this is your first pair of boots, you'll likely be happy with either model.