[TR] Spain - La Luna de Miel 4/30/2012

Trip: Spain - La Luna de Miel

Date: 4/30/2012

Trip Report:

I have no time (read: I am too lazy) to write up a long trip report, but since there isn’t much on this site about Spain, I thought I’d post a few photos and a quick summary of a month in Spain.

La Pedriza: Got out with forrest_m and his delightful daughter Sofía to this granite area about an hour north of Madrid. Granite slab climbing ranging from 1 pitch to 200 m with approaches varying from 20 minutes to several hours. Mostly bolted, though word is there are some routes requiring gear. Sadly we only got two pitches in before it began to rain. As a consolation prize, we stopped in the village after the hike out for some beer and tapas and a visit to the local castle.

0_1_la_pedriza.jpg

Zafra: The grow shop was closed, but without the artificial aid of pot Rolf still managed to eat almost all of the tapa I accidentally ordered that consisted of nothing but a pound of cheese. Really, the name made it sound like it was going to be some sort of omelette-like thing.

003_grow_shop_zafra.jpg

Sevilla: No climbing, but we spotted an enormous housecat and a couple of imposing locals:

012_annoyed_cat_in_plaza_sevilla.jpg015_brotherhood.jpg

El Chorro: a tiny little village in the province of Málaga, El Chorro is home to El Caminito del Rey, subject of a YouTube video that made the rounds a couple of years ago. The Caminito is a three-foot-wide walkway built between 1900 and 1905 suspended 100 meters or so above the bottom of the narrow gorge. It’s quite deteriorated, and at this point it’s hard to see what’s holding much of it up except for habit. It’s a belay ledge for many of the climbs and walking the length of it and back is a highly entertaining rest day activity.

064_camino_del_rey.jpg

Caminito del Rey

103_crossing_3.jpg117_crossing_back_3.jpg

Traversing the Camino

126_baling_wire.jpg

A little baling wire reinforcement

The first day or two in El Chorro were hot, but later on the weather turned a little and I discovered some surprising similarities between limestone sport climbing in Spain and Cascades alpine:

129_surprising_similarities_bewteen_sport_and_alpine.jpg

Granada: again no climbing, but we did visit the Alhambra, which has some of the most impressive architecture I’ve ever seen.

197_can_t_get_enough_of_those_arches.jpg

Rolf: “The Spanish have an edifice complex.”

Granada is one of the last bastions of “a free tapa with every drink,” so I recommend you check it out before that changes.

222_how_I_saw_Rolf_when_we_weren_t_climbing.jpg

Calpe: Finally in the Costa Blanca, we spent a couple of days in British-retiree-infested Calpe climbing on the Peñon d’Ifach before renting a car and fleeing inland. No pics, sorry.

Finestrat: we spent a week in Finestrat, climbing at several areas. We started with a couple of days of single-pitch sport climbing in Sella. The longer routes on The Divino looked good but we never got around to them.

243_The_Divino.jpg

The Divino

We spent two days climbing on the Puig Campaña just outside Finestrat. First up was a five-pitch 6a called Diedro Magicos which involved “rescuing” some climbers who got hit by rockfall on the next route over (read: we let them rap on our ropes). Next day we got on a 12-pitch 5, Espolón Central. I cleverly dropped my belay device on p2 so we rocked the hip belays for the follower and I used biner brake rappels for the rest of the trip. I initially was going to rap on a Munter but Rolf wisely said, “No. Fuck that.”

256_Puig_Campa_a.jpg

Puig Campaña

263_following_p1_Diedro_Magicos.jpg

Following p2, Diedro Magicos

272_Rolf_on_p4.jpg

Rolf on p4, Diedro Magicos

276_almost_in_the_chopper.jpg

Helicopter rescue

284_helpful_spanish_belay_station.jpg

Helpful Spanish belay station, Espolón Central

Our last climb was Via Valencianos on the Ponoch, just outside the splendidly named village of Polop. It was a long, vegetated, wandering, scraggy climb redeemed by two really nice 6a pitches, both of which fell to me. Sorry Rolf.

295_VV_first_6a_pitch.jpg

First 6a pitch, Via Valencianos

Madrid: Our last night in Madrid forrest_m and family were extremely kind to let us crash at their apartment and act as our tour guides to the best tapas places. Another point in favor of Spain: you can take your six-year-old to the bars.

Is it time for another vacation yet?

Gear Notes:

Single rack to 3.5, a bunch of draws and runners.

Approach Notes:

American Airlines. Business class would have been better.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a little hard on him eating Iberian cured ham and Manchego instead of canned tuna dumped in pasta, but he rallied.

We did at least stay in some fleabag hotels, although I recommend the place we stayed in Finestrat if you ever want to do some limestone climbing in the Costa Blanca:

http://www.casafigueretes.es/01_english.html

Your trip to Cham looked pretty swank too!

Awesome looks like a nice trip. I got to get there one of these days. I remember wanting to go there and seeing there was a lot of climbing areas there. Now I would like to just get somewhere, where there is some climbing. Hopefully see you this summer.

• 3 weeks later...