Thoughts on the permit system on Rainier

glennm

So, the weather breaks on Friday night and you call your partner to climb Rainier on sat ,but upon arriving at the ranger station you find all spots at high camp are taken. Does this increase the chances you'll try for a one day push even if this is outside of the realm of safety for you?

Do you try to climb to high camp anyway finding it near deserted because half the people who reserved spots in advance by phone changed thier plans without letting the rangers know? Would this piss you off?

Or, having anticipated permitting problems, do you reserve a high camp spot in advance, and push on anyway in marginally safe weather/snow conditions because you know you might not get a spot on another weekend?

Does the current system rob us of the opportunity to climb spontaneously?

Whatcha think?

Aside from any good the current system may do , I think that tourist vehicles leaking oil and belching exhaust impact the wilderness more than a wise climber on snow. Why not limit access to the park at the gate rather than at the ranger station and let everyone shoulder the weight of keeping the impact of visitors down?

Whatcha think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"near deserted because half the people who reserved spots in advance by phone changed thier plans without letting the rangers know"

This does happen and way too much. But climbers are to blame for this, not the Rangers.

However, a better system might solve this. My understanding is that a new system designed to prevent this is being looked at by the Park....but I wouldn't quote me or hold your breath. [Roll Eyes]