Midnight Rock Restrictions

pope

The discovery of nesting birds of prey resulted in the temporary closure of activity across Dead End Ledge. Routes beginning or terminating on this ledge (from Black Widow over to the Flame) are closed until July 31st. I couldn't tell whether Yellow Bird is impacted by these closures. Contact the Leavenworth Ranger Station (509-548-6977) for more information.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I think Cavey is right about the nest being over on Noontime this year.

I have been over most areas of midnight this spring and have not seen the nest . I did see feathers from a fresh kill though.

I read in the paper this spring that the perigrine falcon is being taken off the "threatened"? list and in the last two years numbers have exploded. Any biologists out there? I don't feel like climbers need to lose vast areas of real estate anymore because the falcon situation has changedin the last 12 months.

It could be..........those Leavenworth rangers that EVERYBODY hates.

Jens,

I wouldn't call myself a biologist, but I studied F+WL management for a bit. Anyway...

Falcon numbers have risen in the last ten or so years. However, populations are now also begining to inhabit urban areas. I'm sure others have heard about the Perigrines living on rooftops in New York and so on...

However, it is amazing how fragile the nesting cycle's for 'birds of prey' are. Many minor disturbance's can "cause" nesting parents to abandon the nest. Reproduction rates for falcons are not like oh lets say ferrel cats for instance...

I realize how contradictory those two statments are, but ya'll get my drift, it's like apples and oranges. Just something to consider when tromping around looking for the "best crack yet."

[ 05-02-2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

while peregrines are being taken off the threatened species list, they and all other raptors are still protected by the federal migratory bird act. seasonal closures and the amounts of restricted area seem to vary from region to region (el cap, cochise stronghold, etc.). the restrictions on climbing at midnight/noontime are relatively tame from what i have seen elsewhere. a seasonal closure seems like a small price to pay to have such cool birds in the area. besides, there is alot of other climbing "real estate" out there.

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

I hear they taste like chicken.
[chubit][big Drink]

What kind of bird meat do you like best, white, dark, spotted or marbled?

(you got to be a logger to get this one maybe).

From supertopo.com by "Link," Yosemite Climbing Ranger:

"They're back...

As many of you probably already know, there are a few places in the valley where Peregrine Falcons traditionally nest. In the past these areas have been closed to climbing during the nesting season in order to protect the birds (if disturbed, parent birds sometimes attempt to abandon their nests before their offspring are mature enough to fly).

It looks like this year the NPS may decide to do a “voluntary closure” of these areas. Regardless of the label that gets worked out, I want to let people know that the birds on the Rostrum are back in their traditional nesting place (not on the route itself, but quite close by). Out of respect for some of the coolest animals around, please consider avoiding the area until they have cleared out. I know it’s one of the coolest routes on the planet, but Yosemite has many other “coolest routes on the planet” that we can enjoy for a month or two.

As for other nests, the same traditional areas will most likely be voluntarily closed until the birds move on. Those areas are the Rhombus Wall, Parts of Lower Cathedral Rock, the far east end of Glacier Point Apron, and a few cliff bands around Hetch Hetchy. For more detailed info feel free to stop by Camp 4 on Sunday morning.

Thanks for helping to spread the word. I will be checking out the birds on the Rostrum from time to time with a Telescope, and I’d be happy to point them out to anyone interested in some truly cool creatures.

One more thing, let’s not start a flame war about endangered species and climbing access... My intention here is just to keep people informed and give those who want to respect these birds the chance to do so.

Thanks again,

-Link (climbing ranger in the Valley)"

Let's say access limitations because of Peregrine nests would start to affect a sufficiently large number of crags for us to run into trouble finding stuff to climb. I'd guess it would be time to take them off the endangered species list around then... if not earlier... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by fleblebleb:

Let's say access limitations because of Peregrine nests would start to affect a sufficiently large number of crags for us to run into trouble finding stuff to climb. I'd guess it would be time to take them off the endangered species list around then... if not earlier...
[big Grin]

Peregrines hunt other birds. Im all in favor of more peregrines if they hunt some of those fucking seagulls that shit on my car in the Brew pub parking lot! [Mad]

Did you mean: go to Smith and Vantage with a Rifle?

[Razz]

Seriously though, how would you view it if you had to leave your kid behind because bikers decided your living room was the best place to burn some tread? A bit of inconvenience isn't that bad. The stakes are a bit higher for the birds.

Also, if any of you guys run into 'Link' in the Valley, he's worth talking to. It's too bad the upper levels of the NPS don't have more people like him.

I'll vote with Caveman on this one. I'm a wildlife ecologist for and the bird issue is a no brainer - just stay away. This is how a few losers can ruin it for the rest of us. Peregrine falcons have made a remarkable comeback because of good conservation measures. There have been problems in the Tieton, for instance, of climbers ignoring the posted signs regarding golden eagle nesting, and it just frosts the WDFW biologists.

Climbers have quite an effect on the natural environment from the numerous trails, to gardening rare plants off routes, to general disturbance that keeps raptors from using areas that they might otherwise occupy. So for the limited time the resource managers recommend no climbing - please comply.