Guides Jumping the Mountain Madness Ship

Dennis_the_Menace

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by PackOnMyBack:

As an employee of Mountain Madness I am more than aware of what is happening here. by local guide service standards we pay more than fair. So, if you choose to spray please at least get your facts correct.

You see my friend, the key words here are "by local guide service standards". If you choose to be exploited, and yes it is a choice, that's your business. I don't know what MM pays you daily, but I'd wager that it is in the $100/day or less range if you have less than three years with them. Guiding is rewarding, and money is not all that important...BUT, with a little entreprenuerial energy you could easily double your wage and gain a modicum of control over your schedule, working conditions, etc. Guiding is not lucrative FOR THE GUIDES, but you can bet your ass someone at the top is making loot, especially in an established business like RMI, MM, etc. If the guiding profession were unionized, you can bet your wage would be at least 50% higher. I don't believe I am spreading any "rumours", only expressing opinion and conjecture. It's no secret that outdoor professionals in general are underpaid. This is partly due to the high turnover rates, but it is also partly due to the competition for jobs due to the "ideal of life as a mountain guide" as opposed to the reality of such a life. Anyone who has guided for a living can quickly dispell this fantasy, but for a young buck (or doe) the attraction is undeniable...climb everyday, live outdoors, work in a field you love, advance your employability, boost your ego, swoon the opposite sex...

So, you don't have people leaving, but I doubt the muttering about such came from nothing, care to enlighten us as to what's going on rather than crying about people spreading rumours?

quote:

Originally posted by PackOnMyBack:

hey cave dweller, have you really posted a 1000 messages? JEEZ DUDE! Yep, I do take it seriosly, Madness is my bread and butter.

Dude just relax man. In a few years you might be working for RMI or some other group who knows what can happen. Loyalty to your job is kewl but you have to look out for yourself first. Plus getting all bent out of shape over nothing is only going to bother you as some other people will feed off of it. Just some advice wink.gif

Will,

Your numbers are way off and you have not even figured on any start up costs. You also completely forgot about the costs of "user days" to the Fed Gov. This is a major expense.

I applaude your efforts..but encourage you to really think this through more clearly and completely.

Maybe you should start a new thread.

Will, it is a commonly accepted in the adventure travel (guiding) industry, that competing companies compete for clients. Outside of that they are friendly and avoid disrespecting each other. It is the rule of "do unto others".

Your financial figures for your Baker climb do not show nearly all the cost associated with running a company. Regardless, I applaud you for you efforts with Tribal Guides, and hope your quest to be legal and profitable pans out.

Yeah, I like the conspiracy theory better. I'd still believe the guides are bailing from being pimped-out by rich management yuppies sending them on death-trips with 'clients from hell' for peanuts. At least it makes for better dirt to rag about.

Laundry anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

Dennis,

Guides often leave companies or guiding altogether. Some guides get burned out, some love the job but want more money, some want to spend more time climbing at their level and not at the level of a client.

Or, given the time of year, it may be that some guides have simply left to go back to school.

quote:

Originally posted by farmer1:

Your financial figures for your Baker climb do not show nearly all the cost associated with running a company. .

First, let me say I accept all your criticism of my numbers...these are of course all off the top of my head. Second, my numbers do not show all the costs associated with running a company because THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT. It's those costs that eat up the money and leave the guides making peanuts. I included costs that I feel an independent guide would still need to cover. If you have some real insight that you have time to share, please e-mail me privately (address below) I'd honestly like to know your thoughts. Still, I don't think it would be very difficult for a guide making $70/day to double their pay rate even after sucking up all the associated costs. Hell, my numbers for what the clients are charged is probably low too, I know that in Yosemite the rates are much higher and the client/guide ratio is higer as well.

willstrickland@hotmail.com

And Cavey, dude if you're bored get back to work, what's Gates payin you for anyway? wink.gif

Thread Recap:

1. Rumor stated

2. Rumor supported by ranom speculation

3. More speculation

4. Rumor shown to be incorrect by informed source

5. Informed source advised not to take board seriously - dude

6. Detailed information offered in support of above speculation

7. Detailed information shown to be way off

8. Request by regulars for less boring topic such as chicks and conspiracies

If you could make $300 a day guiding, everyone would be doing it. Then you would have guys with a PhD in babysitting competing with a 3rd grade edj'cation dirtbag for the job. Part of the alure is just to be out in the Mountains hitting on the hotties. I also think $70 a day is too much for some "guides".

This past week I have been in contact with MM about the trip I have scheduled with them this weekend. When all the other clients bailed, it left just me on the trip. A statement was made by MM staff that if the trip goes with only one client they will not only not make $$ they might lose some (after overhead) but the guide will. It seems that they are standing up to the agreement and letting the trip happen anyway.

Why am I saying all this? MM as a business is playing the game with good Karma. With me at least.