Good climbing near Portland

ryanl

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Ivan, for revealing the depth of my internet search capacities. Who woulda thunk that three words in google would lead to so much.

But now that you've got me sniffing the trail, any suggestions of spots that are better than others? I'm going down to visit family for a few days and want to take a couple of folks climbing for a day.

Lots of very evil poison oak at broughtons. But if your aware of what it looks like your fine. Broughton also has a nice trail to setup top ropes on some of the easyer routes. Rocky buttes another but it has a lot of garbage, glass, and crack heads. I agree with billcoe on ozone or broughtons.

Rocky buttes another but it has a lot of garbage, glass, and crack heads. I agree with billcoe on ozone or broughtons.

Rocky Butte good:

1) It's closer than anything else - it's in Portland!

2) The rock is good, routes are fun.

Rocky Butte bad:

1) It's trashy but you can overlook that.

2) Faces north so even after a few days of sun it's still wet and slimy.

3) And this is it's worst attribute for me - lots of freeway noise makes communications with belayer difficult.

Any fun places to climb near Portland (closer than Smith or Tieton)?

Take 'em to Broughton Bluff. The place dries out at the drop of a hat and it's a comfortable area for groups (a little more so than Ozone). But if you like rocks, cams and nuts dropped on you from fumbling newbies then Ozone is the place to be.

Chad