Totally Cheating

Nate J

check out the mowhawk-heel on these sporto/boulder shoes.

evolv talon

Why don't you just put a rigid toe extension on the front while they're at it?

Maybe made out of metal and filed down to a fine point.

Then maybe I could climb City Park.

I want a glove that extends my fingers (retractable or course)

Maybe the glove could fill up from a reserve bladder so I could jam 5 inch cracks.

Oh oh, also I want a hip belt that moves water around so that I can be perfectly balanced while manteling.

Don't forget extenders for stemming.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

probably not really cheating for the recreational climber, but I would find it kind of sketch for competition climbing. I dont think the advantage will be that great and it might actually be worse in some situations due to the decreased surface area contacting the rock...

check out the mowhawk-heel on these sporto/boulder shoes.

evolv talon

Why don't you just put a rigid toe extension on the front while they're at it?

Maybe made out of metal and filed down to a fine point.

Then maybe I could climb City Park.

I want a glove that extends my fingers (retractable or course)

Maybe the glove could fill up from a reserve bladder so I could jam 5 inch cracks.

Oh oh, also I want a hip belt that moves water around so that I can be perfectly balanced while manteling.

Don't forget extenders for stemming.

I boulder more then I climb with a rope on. In my opinion anything with crap like this on the heel, makes the shoe much less effective then a smooth proper heel. This opinion becomes doubly true when bouldering on our northwest granite, which is not smooth, but bumpy and full of crystals.

This opinion becomes doubly true when bouldering on our northwest granite, which is not smooth, but bumpy and full of crystals.

Except for in the icicle where all the granite is all being polished into glass by kids in tennis shoes :(

After thinking about it a bit it seems like maybe it wouldn't be that great of an advantage heel hooking. Once your foot starts to slide it seems unlikely that the next ridge of rubber will really stop your foot from skidding off the hold.

But who knows (someone here?).

Let's assume they work, here's the question:

Should they be legal in comps?

What if someone claimed a FFA using these to heel hook the crux? Legit? I don't think so.