cry for help

OlegV

My son, 21 wrote it. I decided to post this letter because my son ran out of options. We live in a highly egoistic society, but I feel he may get some help from climbers. I think he deserved a real chance.

Thank you. Oleg

This is a cry for help, not to sound bitchy but its to that point. I stay at this dude's house that has two alcoholic potheads living in it soon to be another it seems. They're good people but they r literally driving me to the point of insanity. They do nothing but drink malt and smoke weed all day and I'm trying to stay off that shit for reasons of parole and personal choice. Ive been legitimately hard job hunting for the past month and it seems to no appeal. The market sucks these days especially for a felon. I feel like I'm the only voice of reason in this household and the others are too drunk and blind to listen. I really need the f... out of here asap so I guess what I'm getting to is that I need all the help I can possibly get finding a job. Ive been living the life of dependency for too long and i need to start anew. Ive been busting my ass in school (and doing really well in it and trying to find a part time job on top of it. I know that it'll be really hard once i get work but life requires the hardships. I realized this too late and now I'm kinda stuck in this shitty position, hopefully not much longer, but god it hard out there. On top of it all a few of my homies just got an apt and I'm still stuck here living in hell, making my insanity double, and making it seem like a lost hope to keep going. But ill keep truckin' until I succeed. Please... if anyone knows anything about ANY possible felony friendly job prospects or opportunities let me know because I really don't know where to look anymore its driving me crazy. I need some real feedback. Thanks for listening whoever read this.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oleg,

Not sure where your son is living, but Pioneer Industries operates manufacturing facilities in Seattle (and perhaps other cities, I don't know) and their mission is to support and help rehabilitate former convicts through gainful employment. It is a very tough job market, even for those up us with advanced degrees and years of experience. I can only imagine what an uphil battle it must be for your son.

Best of luck,

Dan

Sounds like he's figured things out now and just wants to get headed out in the right direction for a change - everyone comes to it at different ages and some never do. I know it can be a rough transition, so good on him and all my the best.

Oleg,

Not sure where your son is living, but Pioneer Industries operates manufacturing facilities in Seattle (and perhaps other cities, I don't know) and their mission is to support and help rehabilitate former convicts through gainful employment. It is a very tough job market, even for those up us with advanced degrees and years of experience. I can only imagine what an uphil battle it must be for your son.

Best of luck,

Dan

Dan, thanks very much for your advice. My son lives in Portland. He started using drugs when he was young and that led to where he is now. Fortunetly, he is very smart and is on the right track now. His bad record, however, is tagging alone. He will make it with our support...

Oleg

Sounds like he's figured things out now and just wants to get headed out in the right direction for a change - everyone comes to it at different ages and some never do. I know it can be a rough transition, so good on him and all my the best.

Thanks Joseph for your support! I noticed changes when Alex turned 21 and his friend found jobs and he didn't. I hope things will improve.

Hey Oleg -

You are doing a real solid for your son.

Climbers are the biggest ego-maniacs and non-egotists. With that disclaimer, here is my simple advice:

1) Move

2) Adjust

Best luck,

-Joe

Hey Joe,

Moving is great advice. We live in the village and there is no escape from old shit. He will make it, I am sure.

Thanks!

Oleg

That is a powerful story Oleg. Your son has a long life ahead of him and I hope this rough patch is relatively short. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, hang in there!

That would be cool if Dave's worked out, they're a great company that I love to support.

Oleg,

My daughter got involved in drugs, was in rehab by age 13, still ended up using. She is in med school now, having turned her life around. I had to do the tough love thing, was very hard, but it worked out. I know both you and your ex Olga are smart cookies, I have no doubt your son is pretty bright. Best of luck.

Dan

Oleg,

My daughter got involved in drugs, was in rehab by age 13, still ended up using. She is in med school now, having turned her life around. I had to do the tough love thing, was very hard, but it worked out. I know both you and your ex Olga are smart cookies, I have no doubt your son is pretty bright. Best of luck.

Dan

Hey Dan, thanks a lot man. I just don't get why some kids are being so blind to real possibilities of this world. Having moved to the US, I expected that my kids will take advantage of opportunities this country has to offer. Instead, I see quite the opposite. They don’t have to stay near the bottom – all it takes is to look up in the sky and think.

Oleg

That is a powerful story Oleg. You son has a long life ahead of him and I hope this rough patch is relatively short. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, hang in there!

That would be cool if Dave's worked out, they're a great company that I love to support.

Thank you Jason. I hope my sone is reading this.

Not to be a downer, but if your boy is trying to move on from his past, posting his name, details of his personal history and his letter on the internet for the world to see may not be the best move. But I wish him the all the best and hope some of these suggestion pan out for him.

Not to be a downer, but if your boy is trying to move on from his past, posting his name, details of his personal history and his letter on the internet for the world to see may not be the best move. But I wish him the all the best and hope some of these suggestion pan out for him.

I don't see his name, especially last name.

I worked on the oil rigs out in Wyoming. Business there (and more recently, North Dakota) is booming, and you can make tons of money. Fortunately/unfortunately, the industry seems (to me) to be at least 75% former or current felons.

I say fortunately/unfortunately because while the industry doesn't seem to mind if you have a criminal history, there are many workers who are still committing crimes or relapsing often. It may not be the best atmosphere for your son who is trying to be on the straight and narrow. He can however, make tons of quick cash to pay for school and such if that's one of his goals.

I don't know about Oregon, but in Washington there are programs to help people coming out of jail. The government will pay your tuition, and some, maybe even all, of your living expenses. I would recommend contacting some community colleges to see what is available in a field that interests your son.

I am a teacher, and I see this working everyday. Say what you want about our government, but we as a society have come a long ways towards helping those who are less fortunate get back on their feet.

Oleg,

I manage several forestry crews (they are my subcontractors so I do not actually have hiring control) but I can tell you that if your son is willing to work hard, there is a lot of work available in this industry. Timber thinning, planting, spraying, marking various stuff, fire line during the summer... It is hard work but labor is sorely needed since immigration has slowed from our southern border. Pay is dependent on the quality and speed of work but generally pays 11-18 $/hr. If you are interested I can give you several companies to look up in the PNW. Good for your son to try and get out of that situation... best of luck