Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jrex

Partner for the Cooper Spur

Recommended Posts

I have been eyeing the spur for a while and want to get it before it melts out. I plan on skiing the approach and decent to Timberline. I am flexible on dates and am looking for good weather window. Open to doing it as an over nighter or one good push. Let me know, Josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been eyeing it up aswell. I have tools, screws and pickets :-) Roth.tb@gmail.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone interested in sun/mon/or tuesday? as far as i can tell the weather is looking pretty decent...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there might be 2 feet of new snow over today and tomorrow. Could make for good skiing but sketchy avy conditions. I am down for Sat/Sun. If I can rearrange my work schedule Monday, Sun/Mon climb might be a better window. What do you guys think? Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon? Also who is skiing it? My contact info is Josh 503-933-4534

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to hit one of the mnts Sat night/Sunday climb but am a fairly wigged by avy conditions based on amount of new snow up high that looks to continue into sat AM, then sunday being sunny and rising freezing levels. sun/mon would be better imo for the new snow to settle it seems. Then again I've not been up and dug a bit and observed so its just off the forecast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd love to hit one of the mnts Sat night/Sunday climb but am a fairly wigged by avy conditions based on amount of new snow up high that looks to continue into sat AM, then sunday being sunny and rising freezing levels. sun/mon would be better imo for the new snow to settle it seems. Then again I've not been up and dug a bit and observed so its just off the forecast.

 

:tup: A fair assessment IMO...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am feeling the same...maybe sometime next week. I am going to ski meadows Saturday morning, if super bowl opens I will get a better look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NWAC issued a special forecast today in response to the above mentioned conditions. Makes it a bit easier (for me) to let go of climbing high on what looks to be a beautiful 'full moon' weekend. Was def sketched about more than just the new stuff given our weather cycle of the last few weeks.. seems confirmed with issues showing up 1-2 meters down.

 

http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/13/

 

Friday Through Tuesday: Strong spring storms this week have deposited significant new snow amounts above about 5 to 6000 feet. This snow should become increasingly unstable through the weekend with gradually increasing sunshine and warming expected. Expect locally high avalanche danger developing above about 5 to 6000 feet, especially on sun exposed terrain and higher elevations and on the volcanoes.

 

Snow Pack and Avalanche Activity: There have been numerous field observations over the past several days, especially from WSDOT crews working above Chinook Pass in the central WA Cascades and from patrol at Alpental and Mt Hood Meadows ski areas. Crews on Chinook Pass reported by early afternoon, they had already received about 15 inches of new snow through the day. This new snow became increasingly wet and unstable through the afternoon with natural slides releasing on most slopes even with mostly cloudy and cool conditions. Slides were also releasing on relatively low angled slopes of about 30 degrees, with most slides remained above a thin crust layer.

 

However of potentially greater concern is the snowpack below the recent snow and thin crust layer. Below the new recent snow and any remaining thin crust, about 1 to 2 meters of large grain wet to saturated snow remains above the older finer grained winter snowpack. Control results and cornice drops earlier in the week did produce some larger wet slab releases involving these deep layers of wet snow.

 

Other field observations from both Alpental and Mt Hood Thursday as well as back country skier reports this week confirm the deep layer of wet unconsolidated snow ranging from 1 to 2 meters.

 

Just received snowpack conditions from Alpental pro patrol Friday morning. New recent snow becoming wet with ski cuts easily triggering wet avalanches. These slides are running far and fast and entraining wet snow underneath as well as carrying over shallow angled terrain and benches.

 

What does this mean? It means we do not have a stable spring snowpack as yet. It also means that slides releasing easily in the new snow from this week, up to 1 to 2 feet or more, may break down and involve the deeper 3 to 6 feet of wet snow layers. These slides would become very large very quickly, travel fast and far and be potentially destructive!

 

Cornice failures also remain a major concern, as these may trigger large wet slab releases on slopes below.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×