Looking for some suggestions

Josh Wood

This is my first post here, although I have been reading on this forum for months.

Anyhow, I'm coming out to climb Mt. Hood on July 1st and then heading to Rainier. We have a odd schedule and may have some time to kill (like 6 hours to 1 day), because we have to drive back to Seattle to pick up another climber from the airport. So, I'm looking for suggestions for things to do between Mt. Hood and Seattle. Maybe rock climbing, hiking, sights, microbrewery or whatever.

While I'm asking for suggestions,I would like some route info for Hood. I've bought the cascade volcanoes guide and searched the internet for rout info. We are looking for a moderately technical route on Hood. It looks to me like Cooper Spur is our best bet for early July. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally thnk July is too late for any route on Hood most years, but this is a high snow year so you may get lucky. If Reid Glacier Headwall is in condition, that would be my vote for a moderately technical route. Cooper Spur may have a higher likely hood of being in condition that time of year.

There is not a whole lot of culture between Seattle and Portland. I would plan something in one city or the other. Powells bookstore in Portland is great if you are a bibliophile, Voodooo Doughnuts if you like doughnuts (who doesn't). Hood River is a cool place to spend an afternoon. Great brewpubs and art galleries and scenic views.

In Seattle if you dig music, the Experience Music Project might be up your alley, the Seattle waterfront, and the Pike Place Market are all fun ways to spend an afternoon.

A 2 hour drive from I-5 on I-90 to HWY 97 would get you to Leavenworth which has great rock climbing. Also, about 30 minutes on I-90 from Seattle has sport climbing at Exit 32/38.

Is Reid Glacier Headwall ever still "in" around July? I looked for TRs around that time, and it looks like nobody goes up that route late season. This route is more of what we are looking for compared to Cooper Spur.

Thanks for the thirst-quenching suggestions. If I'm stuck in Seattle for a bit, I won't be thirsty.

Is Reid Glacier Headwall ever still "in" around July?

I personally thnk July is too late for any route on Hood most years, but this is a high snow year so you may get lucky. If Reid Glacier Headwall is in condition, that would be my vote for a moderately technical route. Cooper Spur may have a higher likely hood of being in condition that time of year.

I've done the Reid Glacier Headwall, Sandy Glacier Headwall, & Castle Crags routes that late in the summer. Of these, the Reid Headwall is the most exposed to rockfall, which could be an issue. I've also seen a party climb and ski down the Sunshine route in late summer. Conditions on Sunshine would likely be similar to Cooper Spur as both face north. Sunshine would offer more varied climbing than Cooper Spur.

In my experience, most routes on Hood grow more technical as summer progresses and they melt back from snow to ice; and rockfall hazard increases.

For your extra time between Portland & Seattle, Mt. St. Helens is not on the shortest route, but is well worth the detour if you have a full day. You won't have time to climb it, but the park is worth seeing anyway.

In Portland, Powell's is a must for anyone who reads.

I don't mean to keep pointing out your vintage, just that in the 20 years I've been climbing I've seen dramatic changes in glaciation and climbing seasons in the Cascades, and I know you've been around longer than I have.

medicsandy - I was going to climb Baker or Shuksan, but my partner is only interested in Hood. I've tried to sway him, but he really has his heart set on going up a technical route on Hood alone. I don't really care what I climb provided it's doable and challenging.

skibum14 - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up those locations and add them to the list of possibilities. I appreciate it.

I was going to climb Baker or Shuksan, but my partner is only interested in Hood.

That's a shame. Having climbed Hood by 8 different routes, Shuksan by 4 different routes, and Baker by 7 different routes I can confidently say Shuksan and Baker are much better choices for moderately technical routes given the time frame you mentioned.

Edited by DPS