Best place to live in WA?

mhux

Hey there, I still have another year as an undergrad and being in Salem, OR means access for almost everything is 2+ hours! I'm from Salt Lake (talk about easy access), but frequently wonder where the 'best' place to live in WA is, in respect to (alpine) climbing and skiing access.

This is cascadeclimbers, so I'd love for some locals to chime in!

Considerations: Year round climbing, reasonable cost of living (if it's a significant difference), climate (less rain is better but its the PNW...), location (less city more towns), and perceived or real availability of jobs.

Places in mind: Index, Leavenworth, Eastern N. Cascades (Winthrop), North Bend, Bellevue, Bellingham

And finally, I don't live there and I'm just looking for your thoughts, so please excuse any 'dumb questions'.

Lets hear it!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If harder climbing is your thing, then Leavenworth is probably hard to beat except for the whole job and cost of living thing. It really depends on your profession though. On the west side, Bellingham fits your criteria somewhat well, except there isn't as much climbing in the winter. Again, jobs are hard to come by, depending, and the cost of living isn't super cheap.

Which is why a jungle loving skier/pseudo climber like myself lives in Mount Vernon. The town isn't anything special, but it is centrally located and close to the best mountaineering in the lower 48. It is dirt cheap right now as well- decent houses can be found for the low 100's, and rates are ridiculously low. Crazy. Plus I am trying to get more climber types to move here, and I get a commission from the Chamber of Commerce. Kidding.

The best place to live in Washington is So. Cal., cuz truth is, guys like me are colonists with the ultimate goal of making California's borders from Mexico to Canada. Y'all complain about us buying up your property, but you sell it to us, and then whine about "Californicatin'" your culture, which you soak up like a sponge. Whaaaaaaa!

cali.png

Year long climbing... ColoRADo.

Yeah and there's probably ten 200 page threads on supertaco about whether Colorado or Utah or California is better for climbing.

Exactly...if I was truly worried I'd go back home to Salt Lake!

can't imagine a more fulfilling life than being shacked up in index for a good long year or two, 'specially if yer a cultural-anthropologist :)

So its one of those rural meth towns...? Never been there myself

Leavenworth of course. Driving more than 15 minutes to go climbing is just uncivilized.

now that's what I'm talking about! But is the housing cheap and the job market reasonable?

Thanks for the replies so far, interesting stuff.

If earning a living does not enter the equation, then either Mazama or Leavenworth. If one needs to make a living I'll throw out Issaquah. Other than being a souless suburb populated by people who make a little bit of money all trying to look like they make a lot of money, it has awesome trail running, a 20 minute bus ride to downtown Seattle, 20 minutes to rock climbing at Exit 32/38, 30-40 minutes to Snoqualmie pass for alpine rock, mixed winter alpine climbing, back country and lift serviced skiing and a reasonable 2 hour drive to Leavenworth.

Edited by DPS

DPS is correct - if you need employment, the Puget Sound Region on the Westside of the Cascades is it. But it's dryer and nicer on the Eastside, and finding work may be more of a challenge. What is called the eastside (of Lake Washington) is the Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland area - which is pretty centrally located to what DPS described, as far as climbing and the mountains ( all within 1-2hrs). Boeing and Microsoft are close - and if you choose 'Rentonia', you could build 737's all day as they have orders for the next 10-12 years, and punching out 1+ a day.

Which is why a jungle loving skier/pseudo climber like myself lives in Mount Vernon. The town isn't anything special, but it is centrally located and close to the best mountaineering in the lower 48. It is dirt cheap right now as well...

Been here since '90... mountaineering/skiing/biking/kayaking.. North Cascades/Olympic Peninsula/BC Rockies/Vancouver Is/San Juans.. Seattle/Vancouver/B'ham..

moved out of washington and am loving it. Oh sorry, that doesn't fit the criteria for the original question.

Ahh, the ever predictable "I moved somewhere else, and it's cooler than where I was before" guy. Major originality points.

If I could pick anywhere in WA to be instantly transported, complete with job, house, etc. I'd say L-Worth or Wenatchee. Decent weather, and centrally located to top-notch rock climbing, alpine climbing, backcountry & lift skiing, river-sports, and more. Even ice climbing in a better year. You have breweries and vineyards all around. For spectator sports, you can watch the tourists graze on hot-dogs and saltwater taffy in little Bavaria.

I lived in Boulder, CO and I would pick Leavenworth in a heartbeat over Boulder aside from the social scene, which is astronomically better in Boulder, needless to say. I loved Colorado, but if alpine climbing is your thing, the Colorado rockies are child's play compared to the Cascades.

So the general consensus is Leavenworth, if you could get work, and maybe Mt Vernon on the westside? What's Wenatchee like?

I bet there's a good amount of jobs to be had (I didn't say careers) in Leavenworth, considering its a tourist trap, right?

I never claimed to be original.

Having a house/shack in Index would be hard to beat. live up there whenever it's dry and be close to leavenworth if the weather does get damp. The social scene might be a little drab, or meth filled. However the locals I've talked to have all been nice and friendly. Camped next to a few shitfaced guys from the area who tried to sell us a couple oz. we declined. in the morning one of them was hanging half out of the tent, which was partially collapsed.