Hanger Replacement at Vantage

JayB

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the one time i went to vantage i did some 5.7 chimney behind a freestanding pillar and the wind was blowing... the chimney kept changing size as the pillar swayed in and out shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

sure was fun throwing loose holds at people walking by on the trail though shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

RUMOR MILL OR FACT?????We "the climbing community" have a problem here. The state has been looking at impact in the Frenchman Coulee area for a while now; the recent rise in climbing popularity(last 10 years, the move of concert goers to party at the Coulees...lighting fires, shooting off fire works etc. This has an impact on the environment and the wildlife in the area. The cost of enforcement does not go down after hunting or fishing season ends because of the year round use by climbers. The simple solution for Fish and Wildlife would be closure. I'm a biologist and I could write a hell of a case for the state for closure of the Coulees. Who ever this is that took the hangers and caused more attention to be brought to this area brings more reasons to close the area. We, "the thief and the rest of the climbing community", have to be aware of our actions. We could end up with no area to climb in. Its too bad that the person(s) that did this did not think about the reaction, and then again maybe they did. Maybe this is what they wanted, attention. "Look at me look how important I am I caused all this!" Who knows? All I know is this: this is a multi-use recreation area and we whould be sensitive to this. If the bolts bother you go to a strictly trad area and mind you own business, but don't impact hundreds of people now or for the future generations of climbers

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: sisu suomi ]

Sisu Suomi,You are my good friend and I respect your views. However there is a greater view of this if you ask me. Bolt removal is not likely to get climbing banned there. Bolt addition may rolleyes.gif" border="0 be more likely wink.gif" border="0

I liked clipping some bolts sunday. But having the number of routes there that this place does have there are plenty of other routes to choose from.

yea, like shotgun shells....the pigeon hunting is awsome at sunshine wall..

...i think if the hangers come back i'll stick to shooting pigeons until everybody leaves...than we'll climb natural lines all alone...i asked my buddy grahm the game warden....you can shoot pigeons at the coulee all year, not just during bird season...he says it's like pulling knap weed...probably in more ways than one.....give a hoot give weeds the boot...........

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:
If only everyone who expressed their dismay at the impact that climber traffic has on the Coulee would take part in clean-up and/or restoration efforts over there the place would probably look a whole lot more pristine than it does now...

I dont think I have left any trash of bolts on the rock. Why do you select me since I hace expressed dismay to clean up someone els's trash?

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I dont think I have left any trash of bolts on the rock. Why do you select me since I hace expressed dismay to clean up someone els's trash?

My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, actually. Sorry of it seemed otherwise. I was just stating that it would be nice if everyone who was sincerely concerned about the impact that climbing has on the Coulee, or anywhere else, would take some constructive action to restore the area that they're concerned with.

The bolt vs trad issue and the climber impact issues at the Coulee are hardly exclusive to that crag. Climbers and land managers at most popular climbing areas have had to wrestle with these same issues before. From what I've seen they can be solved if folks who use the area are willing to pitch in to help mitigate climber impact in some fashion.

And, if you really feel like bolts literally fall into the same category as trash - fine. We don't have to agree on that point. But hopefully if you like the climbing over there enough to preserve it you'll contribute to the efforts to restore/clean-up the landscape from time to time.

quote:

Originally posted by klar404:
Capin' is actually sayin' a truth (as I see it) hidden deep within the spray! More Bolts = More people. My only question is where the hell are all these people taking shits? More bolts = More people. More shit + more 206ers + pissed off locals = no climbing.

The volume of shit produced can be more a function of climbers' diets than the number of climbers per se. In my brief flirtation with sport climbing, I adopted a trendy diet based on carrot juice, egg whites and cup after cup of supplementary dietary fiber. Also, each day for lunch I prepared a little spinach salad, which I garnished with hemp sprouts, chick-peas, baked tofu cubes and sesame butter. I remember shitting more mass than I ate, and I remember shitting more than I peed.