Hanger Replacement at Vantage

JayB

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Recriminator:
the pope is too busy copn looks at little boys in the locker room to know what pussy is . he can't climb 5.12 or even 5.11trad that makes him the pussy think I will make him my BITCH
[Moon]

I ain't into braggin' about what I can and can't do, but let's just say my hardest "on-sight" (am I speakin' your laguage, punk?) at Smith Rock (are you familiar with this cliff, punk?) was right in the middle of the range of grades that you've suggested I'm not capable of climbing. Also, I climbed it with nothing but a bowline tied around my waste, and I was belayed by a girl who kept about eight feet of slack sitting on the ground. And she was hot.

That's the first and last time I'll spray about my abilities on this site. I grow tired of little punks like you suggesting that anybody advocating restrained bolting can't climb anything tough.

I'm pretty sure you are the Recriminator. It's just your style, trying to be funny by saying Pope can't climb this, or Dwayner can't climb that (was it 10c O.W.?) You're trying to be clever but you don't know how. You're trying to be a funny guy but you're the only one laughing. You're trying to be a big-shot when it's clear you're just a little turd in the bowl. Ya, I vill flush you now!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd ad a note here. If anyone could bring some slings/rings or chain/coldshuts next time they go to vantage that would be cool. I added hangers,slings,rings to the rap station above steel grill/bobs your uncle(the only rap station in the area) and some confused individual took the slings and rings off. I'm not going to replace them again, but is they were replaced by someone, it would make things a lot more convenient in that area. Also, the same needs to be done to the party in your pants area (someone took my rings/slings there too. Thanks, Charlie

quote:

Originally posted by crazyjz:
Germans and rules, that has really helped the world huh? German style "rule" following won't go as smoothly in a land of iconoclastic individuals like us in Freedom(Snohomish) County.

God Bless me , Bronco, and rat (temporary resident of Freedom County).

anyone that would support freeloader county would suck clinton's little pecker. you gawddamn liberal pussies slay me.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

hey charlie.....i've been over at vantage last couple weekends and have been climbing da cracks.....i personlly think right now there is a decent balance with the rap set ups.....you dont get too......i know it seems like a pain, but come on this aint burger king ya dont get it your way all the time...

walk off it aint that bad, and to note there is a new mega rap station above chossmater...use that if ya dont wont to walk.....leave everything else alone for a while........

thats my take on it...

enjoy

I dissagree.

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:
Just thought I'd ad a note here. If anyone could bring some slings/rings or chain/coldshuts next time they go to vantage that would be cool. I added hangers,slings,rings to the rap station above steel grill/bobs your uncle(the only rap station in the area) and some confused individual took the slings and rings off. I'm not going to replace them again, but is they were replaced by someone, it would make things a lot more convenient in that area. Also, the same needs to be done to the party in your pants area (someone took my rings/slings there too. Thanks, Charlie

hey charlie.....i've been over at vantage last couple weekends and have been climbing da cracks.....i personlly think right now there is a decent balance with the rap set ups.....you dont get too......i know it seems like a pain, but come on this aint burger king ya dont get it your way all the time...

walk off it aint that bad, and to note there is a new mega rap station above chossmater...use that if ya dont wont to walk.....leave everything else alone for a while........

thats my take on it...

enjoy

"Just thought I'd ad a note here. If anyone could bring some slings/rings or chain/coldshuts next time they go to vantage that would be cool. I added hangers,slings,rings to the rap station above steel grill/bobs your uncle(the only rap station in the area) and some confused individual took the slings and rings off. I'm not going to replace them again, but is they were replaced by someone, it would make things a lot more convenient in that area. Also, the same needs to be done to the party in your pants area (someone took my rings/slings there too. Thanks, Charlie" I will crawl through their shit and walk on their food.

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Bug ] [Moon]

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Bug ]

Well, regardless of Erik's entitled opinion, If someone would add the items I mentioned it would be cool. Note:The rap anchors I am talking about are on PREexisting bolts- all I'm talking about is adding slings or chains to the hangers that are already there. You (and thousands of others) could either walk off everytime (causing more impact on the environment, risk of kicking rocks down on people) or simply rappel off of preexisting bolts. I think anyone claiming to care about the environment of the coulee would find this to be a simple decision.

Just an update for those confused.Having just been there yesterday the ONLY rap station was above Bob's Your Uncle on webbing and biners. The other raps by chossmaster, Crackmaster lambada were all gone. It looked like the top clips of Buschido were gone too. Having just read this thread I do not suspect that those slings will last out there long...

Umm, I hate to get into the debate as I just wanted to give the update but, since I started here are some things. The bolts are still there at the rap stations they just need chains. A dallop of epoxy on top of the actual nut after chains are affixed will prevent them from being robbed by anything less then a a large bolt cutter or pry bar if someone really wants to rip out the whole thing (it wouldn't seem so though).

ALso for the scientific types just how long does the foot traffic impact last on the vegetation on the mesa top.

vt

Remember the columns over on the Tieton (Washington columns?)? The state got involved over there. They started making noises about the erosion and then found the nesting site of the perigrines. That resulted in spring closure of the area near the nest. No matter what the real impacts are, the visual impacts will generate action by the state.

Just a thought. This still doesn't solve how to keep the anchors from getting ripped off.

quote:

Originally posted by KeithKSchultz:
I have to agree with Charlie. It's just a matter of time before the state comes up with some excuse to charge for the use of the area like developed camping or some other bullshit excuse. The more we can minimize our impacts, the less we will appear on their radar.

good idea, just stop climbing there.....

people we do not need to turn every place into somewhere where everyone can go......

10 yrs ago when i started climbing there, there was no rap stations or mass grid bolting.....i do not think that rap stations will fix the problem....having people not climbing there will lesson the impact...

now we have two stupid ideas here.......

leave vantage alone and deal with what is out there......

and no more fixed installations.......

even though eric's ..... thing is driving me nuts( you've read Celines journey to the end of the night?) I do agree with him. I've been climbing at vantage for around ten years and there was no one there before the bolts. I am not saying I don't like bolts. I clip them shamelessly. I just don't like crowds at shitpiles. I go elsewhere. I guess you can bolt a turd and you can polish a turd but a turd is still a turd.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

good idea, just stop climbing there.....

people we do not need to turn every place into somewhere where everyone can go......

10 yrs ago when i started climbing there, there was no rap stations or mass grid bolting.....i do not think that rap stations will fix the problem....having people not climbing there will lesson the impact...

now we have two stupid ideas here.......

leave vantage alone and deal with what is out there......

and no more fixed installations.......

Hmmmmm...... Have we found the ellusive hanger theif? grin.gif" border="0 Erik, there is a guide book for the coulee. People are arriving in hoards compared to 10 years ago and their numbers will continue to increase. Deal with it.

I don't want to drag this on too long- I feel that by saying "leave everything alone and just deal what is left there", you are in effect saying that the actions of the thieves were right and their theft was in the best interest of the coulee. If someone ripped off your car stereo, would you say "it's for the best, the crackhead who stole my radio knew my life would be better without it, I'm not going to replace it"??!! Come on, this is about restoring things to their original condition. There are no great descisions to be made here.

keith, 1st of all you can go f*^Kyourself saying that i am the hanger thief......your opinion is now void......your smily faces only shows the fact that it is void.......

i work hard to help maintain a crag and would do so at vantage if that were my place local crag...........

thanks for all the lessons on how the more poeple that come the bigger the impact....no shit.......

and charlie about your car theft deal...if someone feels the need to steal my stereo then go for it....what is done is done.....me dwelling on that fact that some worthless p.o.s. wants my car stereo only allows that persons actions to control me....why do i want to be controled by a crack addict with theft problem.........and i have car insurance, i will not replace but they will.........and anyways it is a poor analogy and i will tell you why.......the stereo theft only affects me.....the removal of hangers and rap stations affects more people.........isolated and non isolated.......

i say leave all the damn shit alone there, cuz in replacing those stations you do not validate the theft, but feed the issue.....you are giving a person whom probably wants a reaction their desired effect, there for you are feeding the problem not correcting it..........correcting the problem would be to find the person and kick his ass......

like i have said, i have been there the last few weeks and have watched the what has been i going on, people are making due without the rap stations, there is a sunshie wall/ king pin rap station, it is above chossmaster......

granted like mr cramer said, the fccc's idea to place stations on cliff tops to eleviate the trampling of this area is a sound one, but where are they?? the existing anchors on the cliff are old, albeit the new ones above chossmaster......

another thing about the fccc is how do we know what they are doing to help??? i tried to get on their chat board thingy on yahoo and found it a waste of time..might just be me....maybe i cannot figure it out???

the area of vantage is not a pristine one and it has been abused well before anyone ever considered it as climbing area......i love the desert enviroment and vatage holds a special place for me, but it is what it is...........

the funny thing it is a hunting unit, but there is nothing there to hunt except for piegons.....do you people not think that attempting to change the status of the land is a viable option???

actions fix actions

and another thing keith, is that there has been a guidebook for the coulee since the early 80's........thats no excuse........

people need to learn how to respect the enviroment instead of expecting the enviroment to respect them............

and i am not perfect, but i am confident!!!