Mt. Challenger 15' topo (out of print)

Skeezix

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a map buff of sorts, so let me ask you this:

Why do you ask? Do you see this map as a practical map, a collectors map, or an aesthetic map?

My take w/r/t the question above.

Practically, not much I just prefer the 7 1/2's in conjunction with a park-wide map.

Collector... I'm not much of a collector, so my price has no "market" insight. But personally, unless it was pre-....50's I'm not that hot about it. I've bought some 7 1/2 minute quads that were lacking major landmarks (e.g. pre-Ross dam) at outdoor stores and chuckled over it.

Aesthetically.... I'd put it up on a wall in my classroom and pay.... $20. But that may be significantly undervaluing the "collector" component. Also, I think you can download a digital copy from the USGS or other sites linked from cc.com, and have it printed at kinkos for around $20.

Just my thoughts. Again, I'm not map collector, but your post piqued my interest because I'm something of a map geek.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious... When it went out of print I found several copies in stock at Cascade Sports in Mt. Vernon and snatched them up. I was looking through my topo collection the other day and stumbled across them. It's a classic 15-minute topo that depicts the wild heart of North Cascades National Park. Geologist Roland Tabor even published a guidebook called Routes and Rocks in the Mt. Challenger Quadrangle ...also a classic and also out of print.

Is this a joke? Out of print? Hardly.

Walk into Metskers Maps for starters. IF this is too expensive, walk into REI and buy the danged 15min quad. Otherwise print what you need off the internet for free. One can download said quad from USGS and its affiliated sites itself and hit print or print what you wish.

I don't think you would find 15-minute quads at Metskers.

From the USGS web site:

"The 15-minute map series at a scale of 1:62,500 (1 inch = approximately 1 mile) has been abandoned. The USGS 7.5-minute topographic quadrangle map series is the official replacement for the 1:62,500-scales series."

My understanding is that the Mt. Challenger 15 minute quad is no longer produced by the USGS.

I have two of them, both folded. One is the modified version in the back cover pocket of my copy of Tabor & Crowder's 'Routes and Rocks in the Mt. Challenger Quadrangle'.

That version would never have been unfolded, it seems.

Tonight I see three copies of that book available at www.abebooks.com from ~24$ to 65$, each with map included.

My other copy is the true original, found it in my old map box today. Not sure where or when I got it.

Both are very precious to me, particularly that first one. It's been with me twice afoot through the Pickets.