TIETON RIVER AREA ACCESS FUND TRAIL PROJECT

jon

This is from Andy Fitz, will be put up with a link from front page soon.----------------------------------------------ACCESS FUND TRAIL PROJECT:THE BEND (TIETON RIVER AREA)November 10, 20019:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

This one-day project will complete work remaining from a trail project in April, 2000. We’ll be putting the finishing touches on trails built last year (which replaced multiple eroding climbers’ paths); creating one section of new trail; building rock walls to shore up some belay areas; and reseeding old trail areas.

We need at least 15 VOLUNTEERS to finish up the work. No tools or experience are needed! Just have work gloves, wear sturdy shoes, and bring your own food and water. There is undeveloped camping nearby.

The Bend is a columnar andesite cliff located 25 miles west of Yakima on U.S. Highway 12 (approx. 3 hours from Seattle; 2 ½ hours from Tacoma). The cliff features over 70 routes (mostly cracks, with a few sport routes) from 5.7 to 5.12. 70% of the climbs are in the 5.10 range.

The crag is located on land managed for wildlife habitat by the Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife. By addressing climber impacts, this project helps preserve access to the area.

For details and to volunteer, contact Andy Fitz, Access Fund coordinator:

Phone: (253) 761-7866 E-mail: fitlan@home.com

Please volunteer in advance so we know how many to count on.

GIVE A DAY TO HELP PRESERVE A CLIMBING AREA!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what you need. I parked in 3 different areas of Tieton to include the bend with multiple vehicles multiple times and was never ticketed.

I don't think Mr Inthout's jurisdiction stretches down there! rolleyes.gif" border="0 But if he showed up he could kiss it [Moon] hahah

Bottom line Tieton is pretty cool if you can decipher the guidebooks. I was fortunate to get an old one from Lucky and it is way better than what is being published now. The one sold out in Yakima is a joke for the price! I wish I could get the rights to post copies of the one I have on a website for everyone to get free.

A WDFW "Access Stewardship" decal is required at the Bend trailhead, although as Matt points out, no one without it was ticketed during last year's project. You can also avoid the concern by parking on the highway shoulder just before/beyond the Bend parking area, outside WDFW's jurisdiction.

Although people have been getting in touch with me, I still need more volunteers! For anyone who wants beta and bemoans the shitty guidebook situation, I have pretty intimate knowledge of this and all the other Tieton cliffs. I'll trade information for labor! E-mail me to volunteer. Thanks.

A few of my friends and I took part in this project, which, under Andy Fitz's leadership, managed to re-seed old devegetated slopes, build a rock retaining wall for some eroding trail, and build a stone staircase leading up to one belay area.

The project was well attended, well organized, and fun -- though fairly hard work! Carrying big rocks up from the talus field to the trail was not easy. We had very clear, cool fall weather for the project (though the weather kinda went south on us for the next two climbing days).

All in all, a good way to give back a little to a pasttime which has given a lot to me.

I hope that we can arrange some similar projects around Leavenworth in the spring -- seems that it might help improve relations with some of the local land use managers and rangers and such.

Thanks to Andy Fitz for making this project go.

quote:

Originally posted by goatboy:
All in all, a good way to give back a little to a pasttime which has given a lot to me.

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

In this time of national crisis I think the best thing we can do is volunteer and try to give something back to the community in which we live. Saturday was an absolute blast and I look forward to the next opportunity to work with the Access Fund. This state has so many cool climbing areas and it was really wonderful to see climbers working together to protect what we love. There are many ways to celebrate this sport/lifestyle which all of us are deeply passionate about. I think working with the Access Fund is one of the best ways to show your appreciation for the sport.

I can't wait to go back to the Tieton and climb some more of those amazing cracks. Only 2 1/2 hours from Tacoma and less crowded than Vantage!!!

Thanks Andy!