Sobo's Updates...

sobo

So a couple days ago, we took a stroll up to the project site where we're putting in a couple of trash incinerators. We just happened to arrive while the LNs (Local Nationals) were lining up their "jingle trucks" to take away the recycleables...

The big dude on the right is Curtis, my Second-in-Command. Incinerator stacks in the background.

IMG_1492.JPG

Jingle truck close-up. Those little bright spots are individually hand-cut and glue-applied mirrors.

There must be thousands of them on this thing...

IMG_14941.JPG

Jingle truck rear view.

IMG_14981.JPG

The guy on the left owns the truck. The d00d on the right just wanted to be in the picture.

He made sure he got in everybody's pictures...

IMG_15033.JPG

The owner told us (through an interpreter) that it took him just over two years to decorate his truck.

Curtis and I couldn't help but wonder what his wife (wives??) thought about that expenditure of time... :whistle:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, what is that? Aggregate? Concrete? And why is it in some shots and not others? Looks a little bulky for a drone launcher...

DSCN09221.jpg

joseph knows cargo, his dad and brothers were both cargo pilots. very nice family, i had the pleasure of meeting the all :)

Somebody should build one of those jingle trucks around here just for laughs.

My little brother crated up and shipping a jingle pedi-cycle home form Nepal for my big bro. Had the pictures of Bollywood movie stars and everything. Big hit in LaGrande with all the rednecks ...Not. LOL. I think the damned thing crated up weighed like 700 lbs.

Glad all is well Sobo! Keep them coming, we all love to see whats up, even if we may be speechless.

Denali Dave: funny stuff!!!! :lmao:

Glad all is well Sobo! Keep them coming, we all love to see whats up, even if we may be speechless.
I've been wondering about that. I'm seriously considering bailing out on the updates. There doesn't seem to be much feedback, and it does take a fair bit of my time to upload pics on the cc.com server from here, when I could be sleeping after a 15-hour day in this heat. Was wondering if the effort was really worth it...

Then make bloody sure they see this link.

Yea, skimming 1% of a lot of stuff ends up being - well, a lot of stuff!

Read an interesting article in the NYT on Sunday how the poppy crop over there is on the verge of exploding. Hard to see any long-term good outcome here. Would be interesting to hear the inside view of all this over a beer when you return.

Holy Shi'ite, Muslims! I wasn't aware that such a silent majority was reading this thread. Seems like it might actually be a service to the cc.com community to keep it alive. OK, then...

I should be moving to a new FOB in a couple weeks. I got a "promotion" to a larger hub with a whole lot more projects going on, but it doesn't come with any extra $crilla (hence, the quotation marks).

Will take some pics of the new digs and post 'em up when it happens. And thanks for reading. :wave:

Here's a picture of some sweet Yosemite granite to make you feel lonely happy:-) Crest Jewel on North Dome about a week or so ago. Maybe if you click on it the pic will enlarge. At least my ass looks small with the distance.

Crest_jewel.jpg

Raindawg alert, bolted route: "find the bolts in the photo" LOL

Looking forward to your pictures Sobo. UPDATES ON!

Man, that looks gorgeous! Everything around here is all rubbly and broken. Except those impressive cliffs that I saw from the chopper on the way back from Spin B last week. Those looked pretty clean and sweet...

Thought I'd provide a little slice of FOB life so you folks can see a bit of what it's like where I live...

Mountains to the north of me...

One of two "Main Streets" in camp. This is the north/south arterial, and you're looking north.

The back end of my office is behind that generator on the left.

DSCN1014.JPG

Mountains to the south of me...

The "blimp" in the pic is our "eye in the sky" that warns us of incoming fire, as well as keeps an eye on happenings on the ground. They're actually called an "aerostat" by the mil. That thing is 120 feet long, and 5 miles away.

DSCN10151.JPG

Row Houses

I live in one of those tents with 8 other guys. Each of us gets a space about 6.5 ft by 8.5 ft.

US Army regs say that each person is allotted 53 SF minimum, so we just make the cut.

Note the bunker on the right...

DSCN1017.JPG

Office Space

My lovely Bosnian administrative assistant, Miss Ema, along with my No. 1, the Mighty Curtis.

DSCN1019.JPG

Your image is not showing up. I have noticed that cc.com has lost some of its functionality over here. Some images don't show up, they're just big blue squares where the pic should be. And I can't "favorite" a thread to add to my Watched Topics list anymore, either. So I lose touch with other threads to which I've posted since coming over here. :(

Anyway, it's 2230 here now, and time for me to hit the rack. 0500 comes pretty early... :sleep:

From the number of views for this thread, I don't think you have to worry about being read. Did you ask the owner of that truck what some of the various designs stood for if anything (what about 'ranger' or is it part of the original design showing thru)?

Edited by j_b