Sobo's Updates...

sobo

why not just set up your own operation, a la hawkeye? when i was a lad we made "southern wine" w/ fruit juice n' yeast :)
Or just go to one of the many fine breweries that are on every corner. Oh wait, that's here at home. :brew:

Piss off, ya blighter! :eveeel:

Actually, I'm gluten free so I am surrounded by breweries but can't have most beers. Not sure which is worse, my situation or yours???

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Rib Night last night, suckas... :chebit:

And tonight was Surf n' Turf Night! Real Alaskan king crab legs, golden prawns, and ribeye steaks with all the trimmings. Plus, real Ben & Jerry's ice cream! A guy could get large living here at Walton...

Sweet, reminds me of April 17 actually.........

On the bright side this should enhance your climbing, er I meant belaying skills.

On the dark side, you might be tipping over more columns when you get back. :laf:

You guyz (Stephen and CF) are not very kind. :eveeel: Seriously, the chow here is way righteous. I need to step back from the table or I will get huge.

Anyway, I'm firmly established here now, and just last week, my company's president and VP from the Government Facilities and Infrastructure Group paid me a visit, all the way from Altanta! I got to show them around the FOB, treat them to Ben & Jerry's ice cream at the DFAC, and then send them back to KAF and on their way home. I didn't take any pictures while chauffeurring them around base, but I got a couple as they arrived and as they left.

Also, today was the 1st Anniversary of the shooting of OBL, and we were warned to be alert for attacks. We didn't get anything here, but other FOBs reported some hits. Life is pretty good here...

Incoming...

DSCN0919.JPG

Outgoing...

DSCN09201.JPG

DSCN0921.JPG

Bye, bye, bigwigs! :wave:

DSCN0922.JPG

So wait, you're there a couple weeks and the president shows up to make sure everything is working well. Coincidence - I think not!

Hey Sobo - did you make a Planet Killer for Barry?

obama_beer.jpg

:lmao:

i can always count on sobo to keep the party going

You guyz crack my shit up. :lmao:

rob-

That was the best cc.com mash-up I've seen yet. Good on ya! :laf:

Stephen-

Not that president... Yeesh... :rolleyes:

Jim-

Total coincidence. Totally... Yeah, that's it...

Joe-

I may come off as lackadaisical in these posts, but I never let my guard down. Always watchin' my top knot... :)

Rob-

Sadly, nope. And getting caught at the range popping off caps with an Army buddy's piece is a 1-way ticket home. :(

Shal-

Love ya, Baby. Always. I am the Party Perpetuator. :brew: :brew: :brew::rawk::rocken:

Scott-

Nice to hear from you again! Are you back in country yet? How was your trip? ;)

Banking my scrilla?? No way, man. But I'm making good decisions with it. I'm zero credit card debt, almost out from under my HELOC already, and working on the note on the house next. Maxin' out my 401k contribution, and looking at stocks next. Life is good in thi$ regard.

Nothing new to report this week. The days are too long, the nights are too short, and Life goes on...

Had a Skype date with the young'ns last night (your yesterday morning), but they never came online. Don't know what happened there... :(

Ya know, they completely missed the boat on that one over here yesterday. No fajitas, no enchiladas, no tacos... Nothin'! :shock:

I don't consider the choice between stuffed green peppers or turkey and mashed potatoes to be Cinco de Mayo fare in even the sightest way... :noway:

Anyway, it's almost 0900 on a beautiful Sunday morning here... time to get to work. Y'all be cool! :wave:

Hey, what is that? Aggregate? Concrete? And why is it in some shots and not others? Looks a little bulky for a drone launcher...
Very astute eye there, Joe. I was wondering when someone would notice that piece of equipment. That very day was the first time I had ever seen such a beast, and I was quite curious about it. Turns out it's called a RTCH (pronounced "retch", as in "about to blow chunks"), which stands for Rough Terrain Container Handler. These things are all over the place here. They move shipping containers about from place to place on the FOBs. We receive all of our construction materials in these things, and some containers are even outfitted as lodging space (remember my CHU from KAF??), offices, and showers/latrines. In fact, my office is an 8' x 20' shipping container with the walls and roof insulated, 6 small windows, flourescent lighting, a wooden floor, phone, internet, desks/chairs, white board, coffee maker, and an AC unit. It's almost as good as my old corner office in the Tri-Cities! Well, mebbe not so much... :(

I took some pictures of a RTCH moving a container past my office yesterday, figuring that eventually someone would notice the one in the pic of the Hueys and ask about it. You don't see it in the earlier chopper pics cuz a RTCH can move pretty quickly, and unless it's carrying a container, the boom is lowered for travel. So you wouldn't see it behind that Hesco barrier (blast wall) unless the ground on the other side was high or the boom was in the uplifted position.

So here's a Distel-style photo assault of a RTCH moving a 40-foot container past my office. That's my office in the first pic, the one that says "Regional Staff Office" on the door. I saw the thing go past my windows, and figured that if the guy dropped the container, it would squash all of us inside the office like a bug, leaving us all prepared for burial/disposal in our office/coffin. So I grabbed my camera and hustled outside for a little safety by distance...

That's my office on the left, with the white sign on the door.

I thought he overhung me by a wee too much, so I skedaddled outta there...

To give y'all a sense of scale, the tires on this behemoth are 6 feet tall.

DSCN0924.JPG

"So where do you want this thing, Mac?"

DSCN0925.JPG

"Right over there next to the orange one, but you gotta put the door on the other end."

DSCN0926.JPG

"No problem, Mac..."

DSCN09271.JPG

"I'll just spin it around this way..."

DSCN0928.JPG

"...just a little more..."

DSCN0929.JPG

"...and walk it over here..."

DSCN0930.JPG

"...and set it down right there."

DSCN0931.JPG

"Perfect!"

DSCN0932.JPG

"So where d'ya want the next one, Mac?"

DSCN0933.JPG

Edited by sobo

HEY SOBO!!!1 WHAT TIME IS IT???

Why, it's 1620! Time for a Safety Break... Afghani style! :)

Complete with Krombacher N/A beer from Germany! :brew:

For only having 0.5% alcohol, this shit is pretty damned good, considering the alternative...

Sobo_at_work_AFG.jpg

So the pic immediately above ^^ was the kick-off to my "big trip to the mountains" last weekend. Two Huey rides later, I'm approaching the Pakistani border on my way to Spin Buldak...

Multitudinous FA potential...

DSCN0958.JPG

The approach is a wee bit involved, though...

DSCN0951.JPG

Stripes!!!1

DSCN0959.JPG

Hey, someone's trying to pilfer my FA! Guess we're gonna hafta air-drop my gear at the base for the claim!

DSCN0962.JPG

Nah, there appears to be plenty of routes for everyone...

DSCN0987.JPG