New Girl

sooshi

Hi! I'm new to climbing and I was hoping for some advice. I live in the Yakima Valley and I don't believe we have even a climbing wall here. I'm dying to learn and I'm willing to travel around to meet up with people who wouldn't mind teaching me! I've only done basic rock wall climbing when I lived in New York so I'm super excited to try climbing outdoors. Any suggestions on where to go? Who to see? What to buy? ANYTHING? I'm ordering Freedom of the Hills after reading many of the posts here as well as Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills. Where can I go for affordable beginner gear? All help is welcome- as are all new friends~

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to guess that if you hiked up to the Royal Columns wall at Tieton (just outside Yakima) with a harness, a helmet and a big smile, you could hook up with some friendly climbers.

We've been known to let single climbers join our party for a top rope or two, or more, if they are friendly.

But you really need to join something more organized, like a climbing gym, or take a climbing class at a community college... something that lets you meet people with similar interests in a group setting. That way you can select your future climbing partners based on their integrity, rather than their availability.

There are probably some bouldering hotspots up the Tieton, that can be a great way to meet other climbers.

I am in Ellensburg and get out to the Tieton and Vantage fairly often. I will be around for another month or so and then I am headed back to CO for work for the season. If you need someone to climb with I would be willing to take you out and show you some of the basics.

I'm also very new to climbing, and I met my climbing partners by wandering around the routes at Mt. Erie meeting strangers. It was a little akward but my first time out doing that, a guy offered to swap numbers and show me some basics. The only suggestion I have is don't be afraid to inquire about how much experience someone has before you get off the ground.

Good luck, and have fun!

PAS= personal anchor system. a few companies make them.

about a month ago there were 4 threads on the front page asking if they were inherently dangerous because being static if you climbed above the anchor and jumped off the shock load could liquify your insides and blow the anchor.

(don't climb above the anchor and jump off? it's not rocket science...)

here's a link to a thread from 2 weeks ago asking the same thing:

http://mountainproject.com/v/is-falling-on-slingsdaisy-chains-safe/107532350#a_107532446

I gave a dickish but lighthearted response that the OP took offense at.