Merchant Peak (Round 2)

summithound

Hey All:

I haven't had a good scramble in awhile and I'm itching to get out. Merchant Peak near Baring has been on my list for some time. My intended route is the one described in Smoot's Climbing Washington's Mountains (south gully). I'm looking at either Saturday, April 28th or Sunday, April 29th; my schedule is wide open both days. With the consolidation that should take place between now and then I think snow conditions will be optimal for success. There's report of a large moat that opens about midway up the gully later in the season; I feel a late-April ascent will decrease our chances of running into such an obstacle.

I'm unwilling to attempt this one solo at the moment so it would be great if I could find some company. I've got four open seatbelts in my car and I'm willing to pick up anybody along the way (starting from Kirkland) or meet up at the Barclay Lake trailhead. My plan is to be on the road by 5:00 a.m. in hopes of finding firm morning snow to propel us towards the top. The weather forecast can be monitored here. If anybody is interested, please let me know. This will be my second attempt on the mountain.

Recommended gear: ice axe, crampons, snowshoes, helmet, headlamp

Edited by summithound

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic