Red Rocks Guidebook Recommendation

bstach

I am heading to Red Rocks this weekend for the first time in years. I have the old Swain guide (Rock Climbing Red Rocks from Falcon Press), but it must be 10 years old.

So I am wondering what guide book I should buy that covers new route development in the last 10 years. A "select" type guide might be best as we are only down for 3 days and don't expect to be making frequent trips.

Any suggestions?

I'll probably re-visit some of my old favorites (Frogland, Black Orpheus, Olive Oil) but would love to get on some new stuff too.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, the Handren book is good. Gearlooptopo.com is great for the multipitch routes too. Really nice when you need a reminder where to go on the next pitch, how far it is, and if there are bolts at the anchor. Which apparently I have trouble with.

Handren.

A "select" type guide might be best
The Supertopo is a good select book. Limited though.

Second_Pitch_of_One_armed_Bandit.jpg

ST book in use about a week ago on a P2 or 3. I might have the ST book upsidedown but it's easy to read. I'm more likely to take the ST book out as it's light. The Handren book is awesome in all respects except in one:weight:-)

If I walk a mile and a half to climb a 7/9 pitch route where I'm planning to carry our gear up and over, I'm more likely to leave the Handren book in the car, and if the route has a line:-( Hard to go do another route unless you are familiar....grrr.

If you want coverage of the significant route developement since 2000 then you will only find it in Jerry Handren's 2007 guidebook. It has a signficant price tag and it's easily worth it. Here's an inventory of what's on my shelf:

Red Rocks

A Climber's Guide

Jerry handren

black cover, color photographs, comprehensive, accurate, excellent, a beautiful guidebook, truly awesome, as others have already made clear this book is accurate

Red Rock Canyon

A Climbing Guide

Roxanna Brock

red cover, contains dangerous errors leading teams off route on numerous occassions, as others have made clear this book is to be avoided even if given to you for free

Red Rock Odyssey

Calssic Traditional Climbs

Larry DeAngelo

smaller sized, blue cover, rich in histroy with first person accounts and excellent stories and also a select guidebook

Red Rocks Climbing

Greg Barnes

Supertopo

smaller sized, it's a select guidebook covering mostly only classics and doing a very good job on the routes it covers

The Red Rocks of Southern Nevada

Joanne Urioste

very small sized to be brought on-route, white cover (original edition had a red cover), concise route descriptions from the 80's

Red Rock Canyon

The Red Book Supplement

Joanne Urioste

thin pamphlet, white cover, supplements the 1984 edition

Red Rocks Select

Todd Swain

the standard, for a short while

Rock Climbing Red Rocks

Falcon Guide

Todd Swain

his updated and more comprehensive book

Classic Rock Climbs

Red Rocks Nevada

Falcon Guide

Todd Swain

an inexpensive book for those not planning on more than some of the usual popular lines