[TR] Mt Hood - North Face Right Side 4/6/2012

Tstab

Trip: Mt Hood - North Face Right Side

Date: 4/6/2012

Trip Report:

Made a sweet solo trip to the N side of Hood, nice snow on the tilly jane trail, deep snow in the main gully made for slow climbing.The crux ice section was shorter than I expected ,only about 15-20 feet but nearly vertical brittle ice,fun .The summit was strangely unoccupied for such a nice day. I planned to ski cooper spur but when I was on summit some clouds rolled in and i couldnt see, so decided to go to tline and then hitchhike around. turned out to be a good decision, the best powder skiing i have done in oregon.

5am left the truck

11am cross schrund

2pm summit

4pm timberline lodge

11 hours total, not a record but I think its pretty good for my first north side route

CIMG3060.JPG

CIMG3063.JPG

CIMG3064_768x1024_.jpg

CIMG3065.JPGcrossed far left(out of view) and went up above the lower left rock band and traversed right to the gully

CIMG3066_768x1024_.jpgbad ass steep ice

CIMG3072.JPGdorky solo summit

CIMG3075.JPGexcellent skiing from hogsback to palmer

Gear Notes:

fat skis

Approach Notes:

t jane ski trail up

south side down

hitch hike around

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BenB,

from the top ice section I went up and to the right of the big rock outcrop, I zig zagged around a few more rocks then it tops out directly on the summit. It would be possible to go left after the upper ice to join the left couloir, it is not so steep.

BenB,

the upper section is the steepest snow of the route, at least when I was there. it gets to about 60 i guess. I thought it was getting close to rated R for a solo. in a few weeks the snow should be consolidated better and should be great!

• 2 weeks later...