Good Ski Mountaineering Boots for wider feet?

Marmot Prince

I have slightly wider feet (102mm width at 26-26.5 size)

Can someone recommend a few state of the art ski mountaineering boots? I know only a little about the gear, so context would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to do a little research. It appears dnyafit TLT5 are too narrow at size 26, and I would need ZZERO4 boots if I wanted to buy dynafit, since they are 102mm at size 26. But this is only one brand.

If you don't know too much about width, a list of good brands to search would also be good. Thanks alot for reading.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I'm a beginner skier. Basically I want a way of traversing 2rd, 3rd class snow covered terrain without using snowshoes, while at the same time the gear should be able to do some moderately technical mountaineering ascents and descents. Money is not a big problem, weight is the focus.

I don't think the boots will help you to cover snow covered terrain better than snowshoes. You will need skis too. But you could give it a try.

if i didn't know better this is a marmot-parody of me since I just went through this process and have about the same foot dimensions :P

As a size 9-9.5 street/hiking, I tried on a lot of boots and 26.5 was the size of most that seemed like the best match. I have a flat foot that splays when weighted, but otherwise low volume and narrow heel. I ended up with Garmont Axons (older model)..they just fit the best overall. Narrower boots lead to foot cramping within about 15 minutes of having them on.. probably could be worked on to improve that but outta the box the axons felt good. I am pretty sure I tried on zome ZZero4s and still they didnt feel as good as the ol axon. Garmont Radiums which I think Axons upgraded to..had much more volume for my foot so they were a no go.

good luck trying much on right now, things are really picked over, but good prices abound.

brands (not necessarily good):

garmont

scarpa

black diamond

la sportiva (recommend the STRATOS EVO for you)

happy hunting

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should also read past threads and such but the market changes quickly so it's great to hear from recent shoppers.

I do think skis would help cover ground better, certainly on the descents. Selection is bad and I'll end up ordering a handful of candidate boots from a place with a bulletproof return policy.

Thanks for the tips I will check this out.

I have wide feet and can't wear Dynafit because of that. Right now I'm happy with BD Primes. Beware though, everyone I know that uses this boot thas had to spend extra $ for an aftermarket liner because the factory liner is too small. Maybe they've fixed that in 2012. I don't know.

My boots are light (not as light as TLT5 but OK), comfortable, and warm, but it was more expensive than I had planned.

If you live somewhere near a ski shop it may be possible to have some custom work done on boots. I have a pair of Scarpa Maestrales that are 27.0 and I believe they have a 102mm last. I also had the boots punched out over the bunion area and they fit like a dream besides a minor issue molding the liners.

The new Dynafit boots could be widened for you but I would ask first. I had my old garmont mega rides blown out and after years of cold/sleeping feet it is a whole new world. Did this last year. This year I wanted to get a more downhill performance and got the Tecnica Cochise and had them blown out and absolutly love them. But they started with a 100 mm last. They are HEAVY however. Next year I might look into getting the new stiff and lite dynafit boot if they can blow it out for me, to replace the mega rides. Forget what the model name is right now.